• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How hard to fix?

Brad Klammer

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking at buying this 99 XJ really cheap but it's got damage on the rear driver quarter. How hard would this be to repair?

cherokee.jpg

Is the frame bent?

If the frame's bent, it'll be more trouble. Look for rippling in the roof and floor. If it's just sheetmetal... grab a spot welder at harbor freight and bring a cordless sawzall to the junkyard. Just remember to cut more than you think you're going to need at the JY, I'd take the whole panel from the center of the rear door all the way to the D pillar and down into the wheel wells.

You could probably recover that sheetmetal with enough pulling/hammering/bondo but it'll come out way better if you put a whole new panel on it.

I would have it straightened, then slap on some rear quarter guards to cover up the dents

Frame is fine, it's drives perfectly straight and there isn't any rippling anywhere else. Dude slid into a ditch this winter. Truck has 99k miles and he's asking $2500.

2500 with that damage? I wouldn't go over 1500 personally.

I agree with Kastein.....seems like too much money for the damage. I paid $2900 for my 98 XJ Limited which has a perfect body with no rust and 133k....at the time.

ahhh I completely missed the fact that you're in Canada. Makes sense now.

Good luck!

How rare are XJs in the junkyards up there? They're quite plentiful around here, always wondered how availability of parts varies in different areas.

Back