• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 disk swap pedal questions

summitlt

NAXJA Forum User
Im going to do this soon and was curious about how the pedal is after the swap. Is it any lower than stock? How much more braking power is there? I dont mind the drums, but they never seem to adjust themselves right and im constantly messing with them.

I just like things to feel stock when I change something.

There are a lot more disc conversion options since I did mine in '00.
Probably the easiest is getting the Corp 8.25 disc brake parts from the JY for a Jeep Liberty.
The disc brakes that I have are 11" rotors and the calipers are from the rear of a mid 80s Cadillac Seville.
Since I have a lift and 32s I removed the O ring fromt he proportioning valve to equalize the brakes from front and rear.
BIG difference in the braking between the drums and the discs... and the brake pedal is firm and really no different in height that I can compare....

[FONT=&quot]
Im going to do this soon and was curious about how the pedal is after the swap. Is it any lower than stock? How much more braking power is there? I dont mind the drums, but they never seem to adjust themselves right and im constantly messing with them.

I just like things to feel stock when I change something.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
When I did the ZJ conversion, the pedal did drop a little.
The rear brake are better and do not need to be adjusted anymore but do not expect miracles. The front brakes do most of the braking. Increasing the power of the rear brakes too much will lead to rear wheel lockup, on hard braking or in wet conditions...not good,
Increasing the size of the front brakes is the way to get significantly increased braking power. When I went from 31" tires to 33", the braking power was not anywhere near adequate, even with stock front brakes in very good condition (all new parts). Up grading to WJ or Vanco brakes is a cure.
[/FONT]

The likelihood of rear wheel lockup is, in my opinion, over stated.
I did the ZJ swap to a jeep with 2" lift and 30" tires, for the record.
In snowy / icy conditions on mountain roads, which I have frequently encountered living in Utah and putzing around Tahoe, I feel like my brakes & tracking are fantastic. I have to MAKE it slide and once I take the foot off the brakes, it straightens out. Really want to emphasize that if I don't really dig for it the car stays straight even in snow / ice.
My pedal is firm, though it has been a long time and I couldn't say if it is higher or lower than stock.
Do it, you won't regret it. I used cheapo rotors & pads, btw - if you go EBC Yellow it may be easier to lock them up in the snow.

Back