• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tack another problem to my Jeep (anyone want to offer some advice?):

AdamGBabcock

NAXJA Forum User
(The bold parts are for those who don't want to hear me rambling haha)

Hey,

It seems like every week I break something on this beast haha. Always fixable and I can usually diagnose and fix by myself. This one's a noise I've NEVER heard before haha.

I was out wheelin' and was crawling down a steep hill that finishes with about a 2 foot vertical drop (I'm already almost straight up and down anyway so I didn't high center or anything like that). The drop was a little slick and has a dip at the bottom from the morons that try climbing it and throw mud everywhere while destroying their front bumpers. I started to slide a little and hit the bottom a little faster than I would've liked and hopped the back end before powering out. From that point on anytime I either get a lot of resistance or push on the gas harder than about mid-way I get a grinding noise from the front somewhere. It is a very fast grinding noise though because it has a similar frequency and sound as a squeeky spring. I've also noticed that if my wheels are cranked or even sharply turned it's much easier to make the noise (maybe because of more resistance). I don't think it's the gears on the front end because it has done it in 4low, 4high AND 2wd. I looked underneath and there isn't anything I can see that's out of place or broken. Any help or advice is appreciated and thanks for reading, even if you're not sure what the problem is.

Thanks,
Adam

I would put a couple bucks on U-Joints. Does it matter which way you turn? Check the shaft U-Joints.

Mojojojo: Took a look at the motor mounts... in tact. Looked at the alternator and it doesn't seem to be making any contact with the bumper bolt or anything else while idling, maybe I'll rig something up to ride on the front while someone slams the gas =D. Not sure what you mean by frame tie-in =\.

GlueNTape: Going to check the U-Joints tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice so far and hopefully I can find the issue or it can find me. Maybe if I turn up my radio it will go away?

Ok you asked for it. I will go out on a limb for this one but you have low power steering fluid. Your pump is running dry on the extreme forward angle and you are hearing what you think could be your fan hitting the shroud but its the pump whining for some fluid.

Can you manually actuate the throttle with the hood open? Would help to know if it was an engine vs suspension problem

I just had one of my power steering lines sit up against the e-fan housing. It made the most annoying whirring electrical noise. I just pulled it out of the way and held it in place with a zip tie. I would guess your problem is similar- power steering related. Open the hood when it's running and try to locate the noise (careful of fingers and moving junk).

LOL Sorry guys (and maybe gals). I am new to this site and didn't know anything about my thread being moved. Thanks for all the input and as I'm just getting it today I will be trying some of this out. I'll post results. as for throttling under the hood, it doesn't seem to do it in neutral or park so I'd have to maybe put it up against a boulder and have someone else try to climb it and I'd likely hear my noise.

Thanks again, will be checking this out soon.
Adam

Alright, checked the power steering fluid and it was sitting between H and C so that seems fine. Didn't see any hoses making contact with anything... still haven't replaced the U-joints but hoping to Friady.

Woohoo! Figured it out. I had been trying hard to avoid getting this grinding noise because they usually mean something bad. Last night, after a couple drinks, I decided to post it up against a large concrete block and have someone replicate the sound for me while under the hood. At first I couldn't tell what was doing it but after a few times the problem started showing itself. With a lot of strain my engine torques forward and the little piece on the front of the fan blade rubs the thin metal strap that goes around the radiator. Anyone know what these metal strap-like things do? Now that it's happened a few times it has bent the strap thing so it's easier to make contact. I'm considering dremmelling it off but wanted to check first how important it is.

Woohoo! Figured it out. I had been trying hard to avoid getting this grinding noise because they usually mean something bad. Last night, after a couple drinks, I decided to post it up against a large concrete block and have someone replicate the sound for me while under the hood. At first I couldn't tell what was doing it but after a few times the problem started showing itself. With a lot of strain my engine torques forward and the little piece on the front of the fan blade rubs the thin metal strap that goes around the radiator. Anyone know what these metal strap-like things do? Now that it's happened a few times it has bent the strap thing so it's easier to make contact. I'm considering dremmelling it off but wanted to check first how important it is.

you need to replace your motor mounts

The motor mounts looked fine, it's really not that much movement. I don't think I've ever seen an engine rev up and hold still lol. I have a pic of the contact that's happening =)

12346pw.jpg

just grind those tabs off. not a big deal

just reving an engine is not a good way to determine motor movement. the trans should be in gear and the vehicle should be held stationary so it induces a load on the motor mounts. jeep 4.0 motor mounts are very weak and in most cases "look" ok, but twist like a wet noodle when a load is applied.

those tabs would not hit the radiator if the mounts were good.

Back