• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some help

PoSxJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, as you all know I’ve been trying to get my POS trail ready for a while now with a lot of progress, but not much success. I plan on installing my long arms, fixing my sliders, and installing them this weekend. I also have an Aussie locker on the way for the Dana 30, should be here either Friday or Saturday, which I would also like to get installed this weekend (not a necessity though). I also need to figure out the brake situation, after some research I have an idea. Maybe I’m trying to move too quickly and trying to do everything at once. I would really like to make it to the run on the 17th. If I can get these things done this weekend I will use it as my DD next week, to make sure nothing else pops up. I’d rather something break in town then half way to Brown’s.

With that said, is there anyone free this Saturday to lend a hand? I’m going to need someone with some welding experience. I don’t feel completely comfortable with my welding skills yet to weld in crush sleeves, or re-weld on my slider supports. I have a welder, small air compressor, some air tools, power tools, and a bunch of hand tools, and I just need some extra help. I will provide beer and pizza to whoever lends a hand.

I will provide beer and pizza to whoever lends a hand.

Don't let them have the beer till after they have provided the help ;) At least done with the welding :D

Let me know if you still have questions about the brakes. I *Might* be able to be available next Tuesday night if you need any more help still.

Michael

Don't let them have the beer till after they have provided the help ;) At least done with the welding :D

Let me know if you still have questions about the brakes. I *Might* be able to be available next Tuesday night if you need any more help still.

Michael

Thanks for the advice. I think I know what it is with the brakes, or at least part of it. I didn't add a spacer or washers when installing the booster/mc. The pedal seemed to be in the correct spot without it, the brake lights work fine. But that's the only thing I can think of, so I'm going to give that a try.

i will be wrenching on mine saturday as well. Where are you gonna be ? i can make myself available if ya get stuck and just need a quick hand. I assume yur still nearby ?

Yeah ill be right down the street at my parents house, near 185th and division.

Yeah. As long as it hasn't changed in 3 years.

Somebody mentioned that the bleeder valve needs to be on top, will just looked under the jeep and on the rear calipers the bleeder valve is on the bottom. So this maybe my issue. I'm going to swap them tomorrow, hope this fixes it.

Right now I'm trying to find a place local that sells steel tubing. I only got 2 crush sleeves with the RK kit, so I need 2 more, and the spacers that go on the inside of the frame rail between the bracket and the frame rail.

I'll be free Saturday off and on till 3pm then in going to browns camp... Maybe sooner if the girlfriend gets her stuff done sooner

Will I plan on working on it all day Saturday. Just picked up 2 feet of 13/16 od tubing for the crush sleeves and spacers. Now I just need the hardware and to just nut up and do it. Also picked up a piece of 1/8 in plate to practice on.

Somebody mentioned that the bleeder valve needs to be on top, will just looked under the jeep and on the rear calipers the bleeder valve is on the bottom. So this maybe my issue. I'm going to swap them tomorrow, hope this fixes it.

Right now I'm trying to find a place local that sells steel tubing. I only got 2 crush sleeves with the RK kit, so I need 2 more, and the spacers that go on the inside of the frame rail between the bracket and the frame rail.
Thats your problem. I put my calipers on the wrong sides with I bought new ones and ended up with no brakes. You might want to check out the master after that, I was told that by putting them on the wrong sides, you could blow out your master cylinder. But I get alot of misleading info.

That's the only thing it could be, I've gone over everything else. I'll post up tomorrow after I'm done to update if it worked or not.

Well the brakes work a ton better now. Wasn't able to fully test them because when I stop abruptly I hear a loud clank on my passenger side. Didn't have time to look into the problem too much but I found that one of the passenger side bolt holes for the t case mount has the tread stripped, so the bolt doesn't tighten. Could the clunk be the skid moving? Since I have drop brackets and the control arms brackets are tied into that. Anyone see an issue with re tapping those holes for bigger bolts?

By t-case mount, do you mean the crossmember across the center? If so, a common fix for that is tapping out the holes to a 7/16.

Glad to hear the brakes were an easy fix. I had a hunch the calipers were on upside down. I've seen it done a few times.

I'll be working on my junk tomorrow as well. Post up if you need a hand with anything.

Yeah, the crossmember. I'll add that to my list of stuff to do tomorrow, I have to get longer bolts for my long arm brackets anyways.

Well I got the passenger side bracket done, just need to assemble it after the paint drys. Going to start on the driver side now. I took some pics as I went, so I'll post them up later tonight.

Got the long arms done. But I found a steering issue while going through the front end. I have the Rugged Ridge inverted T steering, and the stud on TRE that attaches the drag link to the tie rod is loose. I can't get the nut off because the bolt spins as well. I may just have to cut bolt off and order a new TRE. Going to spend a little more time on it tonight, may look at some other options.

Back