• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

e-fan not kicking on and ac is hot

latenights

NAXJA Forum User
i searched around and couldnt find exactly what i wanted. i have a 96 xj with 178xxx miles. 4.0 HO. Ive been overheating lately and no mater how high the temps go the e-fan does not kick on. also the ac blows out hot when last summer it blew really cold. I read that if the refidgerant is low the fan wont click on but wouldnt that just make it not click on when im using the ac? or would that make it not click on all the time? The thermostat is good and the fluid level is also good

You could try swapping out relays with another one and see if it comes on. The A\C problem is going to be a separate issue, I would start another thread for that one.

What is "overheating lately"?

Temp gauge reading a little high? Idiot light coming on? Smells hot? radiator spewing boiling coolant like "Old Faithful Geyser"?

A little detail goes a long way.

What is "overheating lately"?

Temp gauge reading a little high? Idiot light coming on? Smells hot? radiator spewing boiling coolant like "Old Faithful Geyser"?

A little detail goes a long way.

sorry i shouldve been more descriptive. i ment like if i dont turn the heat on itll go to about 230 or higher but i dont let it get any hotten then that. i does smell hot when it gets that hot. im not concerned about the ac blowing out hot cause i like having my windows does much more but i figured id throw that in there if it would help any

Ok, you are running too hot.

Your system should operate at 205~210 degree range, stock system, everything working as it should. Temp will go up running a/c, climbing steep grades, towing, etc. You didn't mention your transmission, if an auto it will add to the heat.

So, does it get to 230 (indicated) when driving on the highway, or only in town/at the drive through/idling?

When was the cooling system last flushed? Condition of the coolant? When was the radiator cap last changed? Been loosing coolant?

yeah i knew it was running way to hot but i have the aw4 trans. I think i mite have gotten really lucky. i went out to my xj to see if the relays were good and whatever fuse there could be and checked the volts going to the e-fan at the connector. everything seemed fine and when i plugged everything back in and started it the fan kicked on =). So for now i think i "fixed" the problem and im about to go for a test drive to see how she does.

Back