• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing door rods

MacTavish

NAXJA Forum User
Hey again,

I'm trying to get at my front door speakers but I can't disconnect the door handle rod. It's the thin metal rod that connects the outside part of the door to the inside of the door handle. Is there some trick to getting this off and removing the door panel?

This applies to the 84-96. There are small plastic retainers that need to be pivoted off of the door rods. Put a flat blade screwdriver against the opeb side of the retainer and they will unsnap from the rods. Then push the rod down (or up) depending on if it goes to the door handle or lock actuator

If you aren't in a real hurry to get it back together, head to Lowes and pick up some Seal-Tite window flashing. Similar to Dynamat, but thinner and a roll is only 8 bucks. 3 rolls will do an entire MJ. This stuff doesn't have the Asphalt smell that some of the other "budget minded" stuff does. Throw some behind the speaker at the very least, it seems to help with buzzing and rattling.

I cant comment on the 97 and up....haven't had a chance to take one apart yet. The exterior door handles use the same kind of retainers, but I don't know about the interior handles. If you see the retainers don't just "pop it off" or you will be looking for new retainers. Most other cars that I have worked on have the pivoting style of retainers, so I don't see a reason Jeep would have changed, but then again they did use the GM 2.8, so logic doesn't always apply. Just be patient and put the speaker project off till someone who knows for sure gives you an answer. Let someone else break their $hit first and learn from them.

Same deal on the 97+. I use a small pair of needle nose pliers to snap them on and off the rods.

I used that rubber flashing stuff as well. Did seem to quite the door down a bit.

Back