• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stupid question - where to attach pull strap without hooks?

Wow

NAXJA Forum User
My poor old XJ has been on a bit of a vacation lately due to the fact that it won't start. I need to rearrange things at my shop in order to get the XJ in to work on it, and for various reasons I'm going to need to pull it with my truck. (up hill)

Stupid question...I don't have tow hooks in the front...or back...or a hitch...where do I attach my tow strap? Should I try to wrap it around the front axle?

if your just doing a short light pull. then yes. wrap it around the front axle. when pulling make sure you start out slow, try not to yank hard.

I have been towed by the front axle many times, You just have to be careful,

HOWEVER.. the front axle is not a good place to pull from for recovery. Most recoverys require a heavy tug/yank to get it "Unstuck" and it does not take much to rip the axle right off the control arms, or the mounts.. etc etc.

To tow it around on pavement? Frame rails, axle, whatever. Just be careful.

As for doing a recovery - if it's stuck by the axle I would not hesitate to pull by the axle (the one it's stuck on) since that actually takes more of the vehicle out of the way. Getting the rear axle stuck and then being yanked out by the front axle would be a really poor plan though, unless you enjoy installing new control arms and axles on the trail.

Back