• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Custom X-Member/long arm Help.....

Ted Z

NAXJA Forum User
I am fabbing a custom crossmember for my new suspension and i'm wondering if i need to drop down in the middle for the tranny mount or if i can run it flat across below the "frame" rails and raise the trans about an inch.....? Or is this going to cause the trans and t-case to be too close to the tunnel??

(Crude CAD drawing below)

-------------------
-------------------

or

------\___/------
-------------------

i would try to keep the stock driveline angle or lower the trans rather than raising it up.

rusty's has an xmember that lowers the trans 1" but affords the same clearance as a stock member. if you use stout enough material you should be able to not lose clearance but drop the trans a bit, or at least keep it in the stock position.

The stock crossmember vary a little between years and auto/manual.Mine had about 1/4" of drop in it.When I built mine I put about 3/4" drop in it while maitaining the same clearance as stock!

not worried about grd clearance, or angles.........

enought lift and an SYE to not worry about aformentioned.......

Just clearance to tunnel, mainly.......

ted, if you take of the four nuts holding the mount to the stock crossmember, that'll free it up, and you can just use a floorjack, and push the entire drivetrain up to study how far you can go before you get too close to the tunnel....

there's more room there than you think!

and after you are done mussin around, just lower the drivetrain right back onto the mount.

you won't have to remove the driveshafts or the crossmember...it'll be the quickest way for you to strategize your mods.

I'd say you can probably move the tranny up a good 3/4" with no problems. To go higher you'll probably have to clearance the sheetmetal around the opening where the stick comes up. I did this and got the tranny up a good 1.25" or so. With that added clearance you can make a crossmember that is virtually flat to the bottom of your frame rails and gain a good 2" of clearance from stock.

Back