• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Locker:

AdamGBabcock

NAXJA Forum User
I'd like to lock my rear... and possible the front haha. Is welding it the least expensive way? And if so, anyone want to do it for a little less than the nearest shop?

Thanks,
Adam

What axles do you have and do you plan to drive it on the street at all?

I have a mini spool. witch will give the same effect as a welded rear, and i can tell you in dry conditions it sucks for driving on the street. you chirp/buck in every parking lot..

depending on rear axle, i advise spend $275 and pick up a ratchet locker.. aussie/lockright

yeah, i would only weld it if its never going to see the street again. I put my air locker on when i was on the road and i didnt like it turning lol plus alot more stress on the shafts

i have lock rights front and rear. not my first choice but i picked them up cheap. they work good on and off road for a entry level locker.. the spartan is the same as lockright

You can pick up the axle I tossed out of my jeep.. its a non c-clip d35, welded spider gears.. and 3.55 gear ratio.

Shouldn't you put a smiley face after that post?

I'd like to lock my rear... and possible the front haha. Is welding it the least expensive way? And if so, anyone want to do it for a little less than the nearest shop?

Thanks,
Adam

Look at this thread from Pirate4x4... at your own risk, of course!
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=763645

P.S. For a daily driver, find an 8 1/4 Crysler rear, '96-up, and Aussie lock the front... best of both worlds... drivable an the street and pretty gnarly traction in 4WD! Looking to Aussie the front of mine soon... installed one in a buddies open/open TJ, and the result was amazing! Easy to do, too... if you can read, LOL

Last edited:
Look at this thread from Pirate4x4... at your own risk, of course!
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=763645

P.S. For a daily driver, find an 8 1/4 Crysler rear, '96-up, and Aussie lock the front... best of both worlds... drivable an the street and pretty gnarly traction in 4WD! Looking to Aussie the front of mine soon... installed one in a buddies open/open TJ, and the result was amazing! Easy to do, too... if you can read, LOL

thats what i have in my 8 1/4 but its the older one with upgraded axleshafts i love it i ahvnt had to use 4 wheel yet

welding it is the cheapest but the only problem is when you are wheeling and need to make a sharp turn it will try to push the front tires strait and not turn as sharp.
the chirping in the parking lot isnt too big of a deal.
I have a race program from king of the hammers with an ad from randys ring and pinion advertising a lock right for $208
worth a look.

I have a full spool in the back of my XJ.
It doesn't get driven on the road much but I have on several occassions.

1. Welded or Spooled rear ends I think drive fine on the road, they are consistent (always locked) and predictable.

2. They will wear tires significantly more than a locker so eventually will not be "cheaper" due to the extra cost of tire wear if it is driven on the street much.

Don't weld your front!

Michael

Back