• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bogging down????

xjpheonix

NAXJA Forum User
90 xj 5 speed 4.0 hp
please correct me if i am wrong or help if you can
my xj boggs down under acceleration it seems to get worse the more i drive... it doesnt like to rev above 3ooo rpm when it has been driven for a while (under load that is) .it also gets hotter the more i drive the trans starts not wanting to open synchros in 1,3,5 gears

now correct me if i am wrong but wouldnt a clogged cat do this...oh yeah the o2 sensor sends a code after a while of driving
i was thinkin it was a timing issue, maybe the timing chain jumper a gear but its doesnt all fit
the trans could be getting hot cuz the cat is transfering heat
oh yeah and the heat commin up from the floorboard is rediculous'

does this sound right?

thanks in advance for the help

Yes a clogged cat will cause what you are describing.

ya thought so i will punch it out and hope it fixes the prob...i wont leave it this way i am just doing this as a quick diagnostic... so dont start yellin at me i know , i know, the bunnys are cute.
thanks
any other suggestions that i might be able to use

disconnect at the exhaust man. and drive around the block loud but you'll know after that

ok just ounched the cat... this thing coiuld barely get out of its own was 3000 rpm was its own riven rev limiter any hill at all would drop it down to 45 mph i am pretty good at diag these kind of things so i bought it anyways
well the cat punch worked this is the fastet cherokee i have ever been in or owned and i have had 5 ranging from 87 to 95
so to all you neigh sayers about the cat couldnt possibly cause that much backpressure.. guess again i almost dont believe it my self
thanks for the help guys
talk to you all soon

Back