• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replacement pannels

VAhasnoWAVES

NAXJA Forum User
i had planned on replacing the drivers side floor pan this summer. ive got a whole rusting through and another about to. noticed today i got a rocker pannel rusting out too.

im pretty anal about keeping the rust away now that ive moved to the nothern states. luckily these are the only two isolated places ive found rust (for now i suppose) im no stranger to body work but am not sure where to get the pannels i need. quadratec seems pretty outrageous, where can i find the best prices?

now the rust isnt huge (the whole bottom of the jeep is sprayed with rubberized coatin, so i hope its not hiding anything) but again, im a bit anal about these things. i suppose it could be saved with some sheet metal and proper prep/refinishing. but, another question...

111882-lg.jpg

the large hole in the top left of the pan. mine has a plug of sorts in it. actually cherokees are riddled with these all over. what on earth are they for? im curious... that area specifially is whats giving me problems. the "plug" is rusted out and i can push up on it. the other area im worried about is to the right of the raised channel before the ridge the seat brackets bolt onto, so easy fix there assuming its an issolated area.

guess i never mentioned, its a '99.

Last edited:
The Raybuck panels are thicker than the stock sheet metal and fit very nicely. I ordered a new seat support bracket from the Dealership and got a good used floor plug from the junkyard.

Ahh... *stretch and yawn....

I love Cali ;)

Nice place to visit, but our gasoline is $1.50 a gallon cheaper.

I believe ehall put some marine deck drains in those holes - personally, I would put 1/8" Lexan over them and silicone/RTV it down. I'm not sure why they are there, my bet is for assembly purposes but I can't come up with much other than that.

As for hiding things, check your floorboards in the back around the wheel wells and right behind them as well. Anything you suspect might be rotted and just hiding, thwack it with a rubber mallet or poke it with a small wooden dowel or screwdriver, if it's rotted you'll find out.

the whole jeep has rubberized coating under it that the previous owner applied. its fairly new, so hopefully it was applied for preventative purposes and not cosmetic. i think its time to do some body mods this summer... floor pan, rocker pannel, trimmed fenders, cut/folded rear quarters...

ive seen a lot of late model front end conversions, but does anyone know about the backwards compadabilities of XJ parts? id like to install pre-97 bumper end caps to my 99 to give my trim job a clean look. is it simply bolt on?

Ahh... *stretch and yawn....

I love Cali ;)
your waters are crowded, and cold. ill stay in the outer banks, at leats we can wear board shorts in the summer, drive on the beach, and know what an EMPTY line up is.

a phantom model from lost... in the 6'2" flavor. its GREAT in the mushy summer swell we get, and still performs very well when its big. even well over head and barreling its money. but it is a tad thick (20"x2.5"), i think if i bought another id go in with the 6'0". but i think im going to have another ultra light shaped for me. something like... 6'5"x18 5/8"x2 3/8". pinched rails, single concave, rounded pin... something for when its REALLY firing, and fast. (im a taller dude, and surf VERY heavy footed and powerful, at least i like to think so)

id tell ya to look up ultra light, but theres nothing on them on the net. rob kamp used to shape for seasoned, and now owns ultra light. hes since sold his factory, and shapes in his back yard! ha. my buddy works for him, and does all the ding repairs in the VB area for WRV, 17th street, and hotline. and im tired of paying full price for boards, rob shapes CUSTOM short boards for $400. find me a place you can beat that without sucking someones D...

i can talk jeeps all day... but surfing, ill need months. haha. sorry for the rant.

EDIT: your Q inspired me to do some googling and i actually came up with something. not much, but more than i found in the past. the number is different than what i have.... though that may be because ive got rob's cell number. enjoy

Last edited:
Back