• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Y-linked long arms?

Ease of construction and installation.Radius arms are easier to configure due to the physical contraints of the XJ.

Ease of construction and installation.Radius arms are easier to configure due to the physical contraints of the XJ.

Not really. The purpose of the Y link design is for better ground clearance. The TnT kit that uses Y link arms is designed to deal with the biggest negative of a long arm suspension, which is a decrease in ground clearance. The TnT belly pan is high clearance, the arms mount even with the belly pan so the mounts don't hang down, and the shape of the Y link arms makes them higher than normal long arms.........so much better ground clearance all a round than other long arm kits.

Not really. The purpose of the Y link design is for better ground clearance. The TnT kit that uses Y link arms is designed to deal with the biggest negative of a long arm suspension, which is a decrease in ground clearance. The TnT belly pan is high clearance, the arms mount even with the belly pan so the mounts don't hang down, and the shape of the Y link arms makes them higher than normal long arms.........so much better ground clearance all a round than other long arm kits.

I was thinking the OP was refering to how the upper control arms mount?

No need for uppers. The Y controls the twisting of the axle.

Again, not exactly. The Y link arms have upper arms that run from the lower arms to the axle UCA mounts. So, yes, they have upper arms. But, since it is a raduis arm design there are no upper arms attached to the frame.

Again, not exactly. The Y link arms have upper arms that run from the lower arms to the axle UCA mounts. So, yes, they have upper arms. But, since it is a raduis arm design there are no upper arms attached to the frame.

It's not really a separate arm though. Even if it's a separate piece, once you bolt it in place it's fixed. Some of them don't even have a removeable "upper arm", just a Y welded together.

It's not really a separate arm though. Even if it's a separate piece, once you bolt it in place it's fixed. Some of them don't even have a removeable "upper arm", just a Y welded together.

No the uppers will still move slightly when flexing. Y links suck for the most part. They lift the front end up when climbing and they bind which leads to broken mounts or worn out bushings. They also change the castor when the suspension cycles. They are just simple so thats why most people make them instead of a 3 link. I would rather have the stock setup with DBs instead of a y link or radius arm setup. 3 link is the best but a little harder to build.

If the Y is only on one side it doesn't bind

You can't run it with only one arm with the stock UCA axle bushings or with the stock UCA frame side mounts. So, no, you can't run only one upper arm.

Geez, wish people would post what they actually know something about.

All radius arm long arm suspension kits don't come with Y links. Y links are specific to the TnT long arm lift kit, and the reason they are called Y links is because the lower arm is bent in the middle (right where the upper arm attaches) for better ground clearance.

^^This plus they're easier to mass produce.

No the uppers will still move slightly when flexing. Y links suck for the most part. They lift the front end up when climbing and they bind which leads to broken mounts or worn out bushings. They also change the castor when the suspension cycles. They are just simple so thats why most people make them instead of a 3 link. I would rather have the stock setup with DBs instead of a y link or radius arm setup. 3 link is the best but a little harder to build.

This reply is the result of internet hype.

Y-links are not the ideal setup for a comp rig but they're more than satisfactory for the other 99%.

OP, the choice is yours. I don't like the TnT kit. If you're going to go with a Y-link look at Claytons or a good 3-link would be RockCrawler. Do some research on 3-links.

You can't run it with only one arm with the stock UCA axle bushings or with the stock UCA frame side mounts. So, no, you can't run only one upper arm.

Geez, wish people would post what they actually know something about.

All radius arm long arm suspension kits don't come with Y links. Y links are specific to the TnT long arm lift kit, and the reason they are called Y links is because the lower arm is bent in the middle (right where the upper arm attaches) for better ground clearance.

Are you referring to something completely different? Iron Rock Offroad sells a Y link setup with a single Y link. The other is just a long arm. The Y refers to the fact that it has a "leg" going to the upper control arm mount. Y links have nothing to do with the factory UCA mount because UCAs aren't needed

Are you referring to something completely different? Iron Rock Offroad sells a Y link setup with a single Y link. The other is just a long arm. The Y refers to the fact that it has a "leg" going to the upper control arm mount. Y links have nothing to do with the factory UCA mount because UCAs aren't needed

Well, I didn't even know about Iron Rock, but it looks like they have what you are describing, and they call it an Iron Y.

TnT Customs offers a Y Link option for their lift kits, and have for quite some time. This is what I was referring to, since the OP asked about Y link arms and that's what TnT calls them.

http://tntcustoms.com/images/view.aspx?productId=148&index=1

I don't have a problem with what Iron Rock is doing, as long as that adjustable UCA mount is strong enough, and as long as they don't use the stock rubber UCA bushing and 10mm bolt. Oh............I just read from their website and they do use the stock rubber UCA axle bushing and 10mm bolt. I would never recommend that lift kit for that reason. Some people on this site who have made true 3 links and used the 10mm bolt have broken bolts, and that stock upper bushing isn't up to the forces of a single upper arm. When recommending that folks build a true 3 link, one of the qualifying conditions is that none of the stock mounts and bushings be used.

^^This plus they're easier to mass produce.

This reply is the result of internet hype.

Y-links are not the ideal setup for a comp rig but they're more than satisfactory for the other 99%.

OP, the choice is yours. I don't like the TnT kit. If you're going to go with a Y-link look at Claytons or a good 3-link would be RockCrawler. Do some research on 3-links.

I don't see that Clayton makes a Y-link, just a normal radius type long arm, and it also looks like they still mount the arms under the frame rails where it severely reduces ground clearance. In my mind, no comparison to the ground clearance you get from the better designed TnT long arm kit, which has higher clearance arms and higher clearance mounting points on the belly pan.

Does RockKrawler still mount their long arms under the frame? Or have they wised up and made the mounts higher clearance like TnT has done?

I'm a big fan of true 3 links, and I've built a couple of them, but if I was going to have a radius arm style of long arm kit it would only be a TnT Customs.

I don't see that Clayton makes a Y-link, just a normal radius type long arm, and it also looks like they still mount the arms under the frame rails where it severely reduces ground clearance. In my mind, no comparison to the ground clearance you get from the better designed TnT long arm kit, which has higher clearance arms and higher clearance mounting points on the belly pan.

Does RockKrawler still mount their long arms under the frame? Or have they wised up and made the mounts higher clearance like TnT has done?

I'm a big fan of true 3 links, and I've built a couple of them, but if I was going to have a radius arm style of long arm kit it would only be a TnT Customs.

I guess it depends on how you look at it. Bend the arms, weaken the outer wall of the arm due to the bend, and have great clearance. Or, you run arms capable of taking abuse and don't worry so much about the clearance. I can see benefits to both.

I know you've been in the game long enough to know how well clayton's arms hold up...

Bend the arms, weaken the outer wall of the arm due to the bend, and have great clearance. Or, you run arms capable of taking abuse and don't worry so much about the clearance. I can see benefits to both.

I know you've been in the game long enough to know how well clayton's arms hold up...

As I literally have the cc out ready to order I would like to hear a bit more on this. I've read nearly everything I can on the various long arm upgrades for almost 3 months now and have not once heard/seen any posts of TnT arm failure (the unloading issue yes but as said above that is any radius arm). As this design is basically the same as used in their TJ kits I would think any weakness of this type would be well documented. Is this a theoretical weaking due to the bend or actual user experience? Can you point me to threads that relate to this and/or show this type of arm failure?

I apologize if any of this sounded rude or smart ass as it is not meant that way. I just want to be fully informed before I shell out nearly a dime on a long arm upgrade.

Theoretical.

I have it on my setup with no issues.

And since I'm a pic whore...

6730_525328735260_41902041_31201093_6708216_n.jpg

10836_529877594310_41902041_31398856_1071485_n.jpg

And some video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMHOHqV6_1M

As I literally have the cc out ready to order I would like to hear a bit more on this. I've read nearly everything I can on the various long arm upgrades for almost 3 months now and have not once heard/seen any posts of TnT arm failure (the unloading issue yes but as said above that is any radius arm). As this design is basically the same as used in their TJ kits I would think any weakness of this type would be well documented. Is this a theoretical weaking due to the bend or actual user experience? Can you point me to threads that relate to this and/or show this type of arm failure?

I apologize if any of this sounded rude or smart ass as it is not meant that way. I just want to be fully informed before I shell out nearly a dime on a long arm upgrade.

I'm not here to sway you one way or the other. Use your CC how you see fit. I did, many others have as well...

What I stated was an opinion, not meant to hurt anyone's feelings. The internet is full of opinions.

Back