• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

U joint please advise the RIGHT spicers?

LifteDLife97

NAXJA Forum User
Okay guys.. so im going on 3 days of trying to search and research u joints. Im sure someone knows u joints like boiling water..

I have a 97 cherokee sport. 4wd looking for FRONT and REAR driveshaft u joint applications and also front hub u joint application. goin with spicer please.

From what some tech guyed asked me was to go look at my driveshafts and tell him wat type of setup i had as far as clips and the c clamp setups. so im going to run through wat i see on my truck

Front driveshaft.. front of shaft i have internal clips & c clamp setup
Rear of shaft (which is a double cardan)
i have internal clips internal clips in the first u joint
then internal clips and c clamp in the second u joint (part of the double cardan)

leaving the transfer case
Rear driveshaft..... front of rear..internal clips internal clips
Rear of rear.. internal and c clamp

This may be alittle confusing which is why i am asking. basically what spicer u joint do i need for my front and rear shafts along with my hub u joint both front.

AS far as greasable or non greasable i think im gunna go greasable unless someone thinks others wise. I know there a little weaker but i would asume if ur able to grease repeadtly they will last longer. I DO NOT ROCK CRAWL so. im sure greasable will suit my needs far more then some ac delco $14 garbage.

Thanks in advance.. if u need more info PM me.. looking to solve this issue and get these ordered..

Somewhere to get these joints also please.. thanks

Front and rear driveshafts = Spicer 1310
Front axle = Spicer 760

They will come with the correct clips in the box.

arent there also 1310 and 7290 combination joints? cus i was told the 1310 was an external snap ring joint....From what i see the rings are internal...

Front and rear driveshafts = 5-153x (1310 is the series number)

Front axle shafts = 5-760x

Tom beat me.

i may also just be way over anaylyzing this simple process. but i wanna do it right the first time and these arent a stor boughtn product. and as far as greasable and non any inputs

Tom appreciate it.. Funnyt thing is my anme is Tom also., congrats.
an u also assist quick on those c clamp bolts to replace th efactory weak bolts and threads. i think there u clamps with 1/2 inch nuts to tighten up

PLACE TO BUY CHEAPEST ALSO????

Last edited:
cheapest place to buy????
Don't cheap out on these. Get Spicer joints. Not over-counter "premium", not "compatible", Everybody who tests them concluded the Spicer brand joints are the highest quality stock style U-joints.

By the way, when you buy joints, the parts people are going to pull up -297x for the front axle instead of -760. They're interchangeable, but not the same. The -760 joint is stronger.

yea im on the 1310 and the 760's all the way. I am goin to check out northerndrivetrain dot com... Guy goes by the name Gabe top notch .. as foor NAXJA you guys are always on top of the ball. Will update.

Back