• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Snow run ideas...

In my experience you can't "plan" snow runs till you are certain there is snow where you are going;)

I am hoping to plan at least 2 snow runs this year. I hope to do 1 at Jack's pass (near Index/Skykomish) with two groups, 1 that plans on making it all the way over the pass and the other that is interested in having more fun trying to see how far they can get in the snow and playing in the snow. The trip I think we should do down near Snoqualmie Pass, lots of details still to work out.

I have also brought up and would consider a over night igloo run if there is enough interest and the group is prepared enough to do it. This would have to be a VERY well organized run with lots of concern of preparedness of both vehicles and participants. (I want to know who is interested and their experience with snow camping??)

I would also like to find some other good places to try some wheeling in the snow. As our group is expanding significantly there must be others with ideas of other places to try?

Michael

Michael, I would be up for a couple of day runs (at least) as well as one or more overnight runs. Jack's Pass last year was a great trip and I would love to repeat it. Playing around up by Snoqualmie pass would be fun as well, and might be a good way to check out the capabilities of anyone new to snow wheeling.

I have not done any snow camping, but I would love to try it out. I fully agree with your concern for preparedness - we really don't want any hypothermic people or buried-until-springtime rigs. :)

-i

ooh ooh...mebbe i can make this one:D

Just throwing up some stuff so all of us NWC wheelers can get a general idea of what may happen this winter.

I have snow camped before out at Buck Creek. It does get Very cold at night, and during the day as well. I have also snow camped in Cle Elum. Still cold. Being prepared with the essentials for those situations is a must.

I suggest mid January for snow camping. There is enough snow on the ground to wheel in. At Buck Creek, camping under the trees yeilds clear ground, so ones 'camp' doesn't have to be directly in the snow, which allows for dryer tents and warmer hearts. :D The airstrip is there to rally on, and there are local FS roads to try our best at. That would be my input on one of the 'Frostbite Campouts'. I personally would like to see more than one snow campout and run from the group this winter season.

LET'S DO IT!! Sounds like the first real shot of snow should hit the mountains this weekend. But then again, what do I know, I'm just a weatherman. :D

Snow camping rules....

DSC00021.jpg

DSC00017.jpg

DSC00016.jpg
:looser:

- Jay

I'm up for one just for fun, but won't be able to do anything until mid to late December.

Looking forward to it!

John

ditto even if i'm going as a passenger, dunno if the jeep will be ready or not

Last year my rig sucked in the snow, this year I'm making some changes and hoping it works out better. Assuming I get the bugs worked out I would love to do some snow wheeling!

Oh, and I have never done any snow camping but would love to give it a try.

12GAXJ said:
I suggest mid January for snow camping. There is enough snow on the ground to wheel in. At Buck Creek, camping under the trees yeilds clear ground, so ones 'camp' doesn't have to be directly in the snow, which allows for dryer tents and warmer hearts. :D The airstrip is there to rally on, and there are local FS roads to try our best at. That would be my input on one of the 'Frostbite Campouts'. I personally would like to see more than one snow campout and run from the group this winter season.

Buck Creek is off limits from what I've been told. It's pretty much no vehicles allowed up there anymore. That's the rumor I heard anyway. Although would you really want to wheel when Crystal mountain is only another 5 miles away?!?! I like Buck Creek though, many a drunken HS weekends spent up there.

Some thoughts. I will plan a snow run sometime in December (hoping for plenty of snow before it happens). I think we should run up Snoqualmie Pass area (tinkham road exit unless someone else has some better ideas). I think we should run the North side of the freeway first and then run the South side if there is time. This should be a reasonable run for both experienced and non experienced rigs and drivers.

I will hold of on planning the "official" snow run a little longer till we have a better idea of snow levels and where might be the best spot. At the moment I am leaning toward Jack's Pass and having at least two groups.

As for a "Hypothermia Run". I am more than happy to put one together. I think it needs to be held off also till we have a better idea of snow level and area. My concern about this run is that everyone has to be seriouse survival snow skills, good equipment, etc, etc. There is no reason we could not do this as part of the "official" snow run, but I suspect it would be better to do it as a different event. Are you guys interested in building snow trenches or Igloo's or do you just want to stay in tents?

Michael

I always do Holler Pass #74 road Greenwater area a couple times while there`s snow .Some times we make it all the way to the lake . This weekend there might be alittle on Naches Trail.

I don't think my rig can handle a snow run unless I was at the way way back of the group, but I'm reading up on igloo's using the "ice-box"... man, sounds soo awesome.

PDeeXJ said:
I don't think my rig can handle a snow run unless I was at the way way back of the group,

I dunno man...these are deep snow runs and are better suited to 33s with aggressive tread, 31s with same tread at the very least if you're all the way in the back. I've always got an open seat on a snow run if you want to ride along. :)

Back