• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cherokee 2.1TD Renault Engine

Kurika

NAXJA Forum User
Hello from Portugal.

I recently bought a Jeep Cherokee, 1988, 2.1TD Renault engine,that came from France.

The problem is that is hard to find non-Jeep parts, because this model was never sold here in Portugal.
Right now i'm trying to find clutch parts (disks, plates or complete kits) but it seems that no one except the dealership has them.

What I would like to know is if anyone knows if the clutch for this Jeep is also from Renault, or if it's just the engine. Is the clutch common for this model and the 2.5i and 2.5TD (these ones where sold here) from the same year ??

The product reference from non-original clutch makers for my Cherokee would also help a lot !! :)

Thanks!!!

Kurika --

Welcome to our forums.

I'm sorry that I do not have much information for you. The Cherokee with the Renault diesel engine was sold in the USA for only a few years, and very few of them were sold. Parts for them here are very rare, and very expensive.

I do not know about the clutch, but I remember from looking in the factory service manual that nothing else about this engine was shared with the gasoline engines. The alternators, starter motors, and most external accessories are all different. This suggests that the clutch is also different. However, I am not certain of this, I am guessing. Unfortunately, at the moment I am 4000 kilometers away from my factory service manuals so I cannot research this for you.

Perhaps someone who has a 1986 FSM will answer.

Good luck.

Just saying hi

Kurika, I don't have any info for you on the clutch. I just wanted to say hello to someone in Lisbon, Portugal, where I spent a couple years of my life. I'll bet an XJ does great on those cobblestones! Good luck and let us know when or how we can help.

Hoss

My 86 fsm, show two different clutches. One for the gasoline motors and a smaller one for the diesel motor.

The cover and driven plate diameter for the gasoline motors is 246mm

and it is 215 mm for diesel.

Other than that difference and the torque for the cover bolts, the FSM doesn't show any difference.

Thanks to all for yours answers! ;)

I will try to follow your advices to find some more information.

P.S. - HossHoffer, the cobblestones are always a pain in the a.. , even in a XJ. :)

Back