• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ready for a stupid question?

mattlago

NAXJA Forum User
95 cherokee, 4x4, 4.0, se

installed a small 2 inch lift, springs up front, full leafs in back. Threw on some 31 1050's

bought 4 shocks (with more extension) and only installed fronts and havent had time to install rears. You know, its been raining alot and Im a nancy.

Here is the dumb question. When I put it into reverse, it seems as though the rear end dives. Like a lot. And sometimes in reverse I will hear the rears rubbing. I am going to get under there tonight to swap the shocks but I am wondering if there is anything else I should look at? Assuming the shocks are acting like limiting straps and that is what is causing this. I had a friend throw it from reverse to drive over and over while I was looking at it and I dont see the pumpkin shifting or anything moving around too much, so could this be it?

Feel free to flame away,,, when I ask a question like this, I put on my hazmat suit in anticipation. :roll:

It's highly likely as the front shocks are new and the proper length, whereas the rears are a little shorter and old so more worn out. I had to drive to the parts store one time to change out a busted shock and with no front shocks everytime you hit the brake it dives really hard and has a bouncing motion like a waterbed.

unless is excessive, a little dive is normal. something about the way the wheels and axl gets torqued. same idea when you power brake in drive and the back end kicks up a little. get the shocks on and see if anything changes before you do anything to fix it

you wont be hitting full droop under axle wrap, your shocks arent even that short.
check your rear d/s u-joints, as well as your motor/tranny mounts.

no flame.

I'm guessing the new geometry of your front axle, because of the lift, is actually lifting the front end when the front axle torques back as the brakes apply force to it.

Feel your pain about the rain. It's not suppose to rain here. got the rear lift in Tues and had to wait till today for the front . If you think the tires are rubbing make it do 5-6 times, pull tires and look for the rub marks.
I only went 2in lift with sway bars and at full droop had to jack up the rear end an 1in to mount the stock shocks.

I'm guessing the new geometry of your front axle, because of the lift, is actually lifting the front end when the front axle torques back as the brakes apply force to it.

I do not think the front axle torque have anything to do with the rear end squatting. The front drive shaft on my XJ is not connected it is in the cargo bay for years) yet I have an enormous amount of squat and anti-squat on the rear.

The squatting/anti-squat of the rear is not noticable in high range. However, in low it is a bit un-nerveing. I know I have wheel hop/axle wrap on a set of 265,000 miles springs. However, all the shocks are good verified a few months ago. I noticed the axle wrap after I regeared from 3.55 to 4.10, installed the ECTED and have wheel spin which resultes in the dreaded wheel hop/axle wrap.

I would like to know if there is an inexpensive way to solve this. An anti-wrap bar is not an option.

Back