• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 odd issue

90xj_zach

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 90 with an aw4, and when I first start it up, it has a slipping issue as if it never fully engages (mainly in reverse), but when the jeep warms up it works perfect. It will go into D, Reverse, as well as shift through all the gears with full power. whats the deal?

What fluid?

What is the fluid's condition?

What is the level of the fluid?

Have you tried unplugging the TCU or removing it's in-line fuse (on the yellow wire to the TCU) and shifting manually?

Sounds like a fluid issue, unless something might be wrong with the oil pump behind the torque converter.

Sounds like fluid - check the level when its cold - may be expanding enough once warm to shift/engage properly.
x2. Whats happening is the valves aren't holding enough line pressure to hold the clutch packs, when the fluid is warm it will expand possibly aiding in holding the clutches.
When the vehicle is warm check the level of tranny fluid. If you're low add as needed. i believe that from the bottom of the dip stick to full is one pint of fluid. Also, what color is your fluid? also, when it warm does it smell like its burnt?
No matter what, its been slipping. Id recommend a tranny flush to clear out debris along with a new tranny filter. Depending on the color of your fluid I might recommend a Complete overhaul, or replacement of the tranny.

Back