• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Problem in the transfer case???

punisher338

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 92 XJ with a NP231 and auto trans, when I put in four wheel drive and get it in a bind I sometimes get a loud pop that comes from under it. I have check my gears and spider gear up front and all is good, I also pulled both axles and they are in good shape. A buddy was looking under it as I was trying to get it to make the noise and he said the front driveshaft jerks when it pops. Could my chain in the transfer case cause this? It only does this in 4WD.

i started having the same problem my first trip out this spring. i drained the fluid and it was full of shavings and i could hear metal inside when i turned the driveshaft. i am replacing mine i checked u joints, axle shafts, driveshafts, and mounts and they're all good. i don't know if this helps or not just sounded like a similar problem.

Check your transfer case chain and your front axle disconnect.

Are you doing this on pavement or in the dirt? If this happens in the dirt then you probably have a stretched chain and a t-case rebuild is in order. If this happens on pavement then :twak: never run in 4WD on pavement, it will thrash your driveline.

Back