• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 Body on 93 Drivetran/susp?

AshtonPJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 xj sitting around that doesn't run. Been trying to sell it and someone on craigslist is buying a "93-ish Cherokee body" for 500. I told them I'd give em the whole thing for 500 if they wanted the spare parts. They wanted to know(and obviously I want to know) if the 96 is compatible in every way with the drive train, suspension, ect. I know it's the same body but there were some small changes between those years and some major changes in the interior. Anyone know for sure?

yes, most will swap over. the 96 has OBD II vs the 93s OBD I. there may be small differences like 27 spline vs 29 spline 8.25. the motor can swap over (but not all the sensors without the computer) trans, and axles all will fit. the suspention is the same for all years xj.

stewie's correct.

A few other things - gas tank will be the same, pump/sender assembly will not be. 96 will have the new transfer case output shaft housing design. 96 *might* have a 29 spline 8.25 out back, but could also have a 27 spline or d35. Some seat bracket differences. 96 will have a different steering column and steering wheel (with mechanical airbag, square housing instead of round, different accessories/switches/ignition setup attached, etc.)

96 will have a metal hood prop clip, 93 will have a broken plastic one I think.

Other than that, can't think of much.

EDIT: fuel pressure regulator on the 96 is on the pump/sender assembly, it's on the injector rail on the 93. I guess this could be considered part of the fuel sender differences. Also, there is going to be a fuel pump ballast resistor on the driver fender on the 93 iirc, while there will not be on a 96, I forget about the 94/95s.

stewie's correct.

A few other things - gas tank will be the same, pump/sender assembly will not be. 96 will have the new transfer case output shaft housing design. 96 *might* have a 29 spline 8.25 out back, but could also have a 27 spline or d35. Some seat bracket differences. 96 will have a different steering column and steering wheel (with mechanical airbag, square housing instead of round, different accessories/switches/ignition setup attached, etc.)

96 will have a metal hood prop clip, 93 will have a broken plastic one I think.

Other than that, can't think of much.

EDIT: fuel pressure regulator on the 96 is on the pump/sender assembly, it's on the injector rail on the 93. I guess this could be considered part of the fuel sender differences. Also, there is going to be a fuel pump ballast resistor on the driver fender on the 93 iirc, while there will not be on a 96, I forget about the 94/95s.

haha, so true, mine broke a few weeks ago.

Back