• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Introduction and need help choosing bedliner

greenjeep93

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

My name is marco and i live in Boynton Beach Florida. I just recently got my first car. Its a 95' cherokee 4x4, and i am preparing it for mudding before i take it out for its first time. i am working on it at my school where we have an auto shop, Today i decided to take out the headliner because the person who had the car before me had torn it up. i also decided to take out all the carpet, and what do you know there was rust and holes on the passenger side of the floor. now what i would like to do is put bedliner on the top and bottom. now here is my question... i have read a couple threads about bedliner, but nothing that could really help me out, so what i would like to know is what kind of bedliner brand to use. Which is best? also what is the best way to cover the holes after i cut out the rust? i was planning on welding sheet metal.
marco004.jpg

marco002.jpg

marco003.jpg

marco001.jpg

Herculiner is probably the worst of the DIY flavor of bedliners, albeit commonly used due to being readily available. Do some research on the raptor liner stuff, from what I've seen it's the way to go, and it will be the stuff I use when I do mine.

Haven't used Raptor liner... But I have used Herculiner to do my entire floor worked great!! It all depends on prep...

I used a gallon of herc. to get about 2 to 3 full coats... Make sure to spray paint black before you apply the herc. then you will get a nice black(no wavy, cloudy) texture/layer....

Hope this helps... Btw i got my herc for $40 a gallon on sale after rebate a few months ago... (picked up two because of possible future projects)

Btw when i did the floor about a year and half ago... i had to pay about $80 a gallon... so watch for deals... (got mine for $40 a gallon at Fleet Farm in WI...)

U Pol Raptor is what i'd go with if and when i do. Heard nothing but good things, goes on easy and comes out with best results.

Herculiner would be the worst in my opinion.

durrabak?? Im interested cause I want to do tan bead-liner and the offer tons of colors. Raptor liner is probably the best looking, but then again... spraying inside an XJ seems like quite a challenge.

has anybody actually done it??

Last edited:
Do not apply bed liner until you've completely repaired the floor.. or you will have a big mess on your hands. I had very similiar rust damage to you. See my repair pics here: http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1022033

I just herculined mine and it looks really good. After I welding in the patches, I used some rust treatment, then painted it top and bottom with rustoleum. I then sealed all the welded seams top and bottom with roofing tar... and a month or so later I herculined.

well i riveted sheet metal to the bottom made it look nice, i then sanded the bottom and top of the car and it looked real nice, the next day (yesterday) i applied herculiner on the top and bottom, and it looks great. i will post pics as soon as possible

The only bad thing about bed liner on the underside of the jeep is that mud really clings to it.

I heard a while ago is to clean the area very well (the area with the bed liner is or your wheel wells). Then spray WD-40, it leaves a slippery surface so the mud can not stick to it. That should make clean up easier. :greensmok

Back