• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SRT8 GC MOTOR SWAP TO MY 99 XJ

WHITE93

NAXJA Forum User
A friend of mine bought a 08 cg srt8 new last year. he had a drinking problem and recently decided to crash it in a forest and totaled the car. once done with the insurance they gave him a option to buy it back complete for 2700 and he called and asked if i wanted it. i would like to no if anyone has done a swap of these 2 setups. i will have the entire car so all parts i need are there and working because it crushed the back half not the front. i guess my main concern is the kmember setup, has anyone seen something out there for this swap or would i need to fab this and if you no of this being done, did the person like the power upgrade i use this as a dd and would like the power but im afraid of the gas effect. any info on any issues this might bring will help make the decision for me thanks

thats gona take a lot of fab work, $$$$$$, and that engine is pretty huge. to my knowledge its never been done.

it would be very awesome though

2700 for a totaled vehicle seems a little pricey to me, but then again I'm not used to late-model pricing.

Do it!

What kmemeber setup are you referring to? I'm not that familiar with the SRT8.

I've heard of an SRT8 being put in a JK, not an though XJ. You will need to do something about the gauges though as I don't think they will work using the newer CAN bus. But if its $2700 it would be worth it.

Buy it. You can easily sell the parts to recoup the money if it doesnt work. Heck, you can sell the parts you dont use off the engine robbing and probably break even! Where there is a will (and fab skills or lots o money) there is a way.

~ James

X100000... With the complete vehicle, you could go really custom and try to use some of the dash/interior bits. ANY motor can fit into a car, just different levels of work to make it happen. I have a feeling the SRT-8 motor would require a good bit of work to fit it in. Biggest issue I can think of is the exhaust. Having room for the manifolds and making y-pipes or header pipes.

And if you cant make it work...go find a nice cheap mopar classic, and stuff it in there. Make a nice little sleeper/DD!!!

J.

i agree for that price i would try it $2700 is not hard to get back by selling parts if it doesn't work. i'm sure you could sell the wheels/tires for close to a grand

The motor is worth more that 2700! I would buy it and part it out and if you give up on the SRT8 motor you at least have money for a stroker! :D

My opinion..... buy it, part it out (everything), use the extra money to do 4.6 stroker. It is alot of time yanking parts, listing 4 sale, waiting to sell, shipping, blah, blah.....but I would be concerned about--size of motor and work to get in XJ, transfer case adaptation, power handling issues (transfer case, u-joints, etc.), overheating issues, just to name a few. If u got the time and $$$$, go for it, I think it would be cool as sh1t. But me, I would spend my time parting that b1tch out, selling everything, and going stroker. I think if you sold the seats, wheels, drivetrain, and front clip you'll make out nicely. All SRT specific and not easy or cheap to get.

IMHO, You could put the engine in there but in the end I don't think it would be very good off road. It would be heavy and you would have to do extensive mods to make it fit which would require you to modify the suspension. It would be damn cool though!

IMHO, You could put the engine in there but in the end I don't think it would be very good off road. It would be heavy and you would have to do extensive mods to make it fit which would require you to modify the suspension. It would be damn cool though!

I'm betting that Hemi is lighter than an old iron 4.0!

Yup, according to allpar it weighs 485 lbs. The 4.0 is what 515?

Last edited:
Thats a steal. But as said before, buy it, part it, and buy a stroker.

I wouldn't bother putting that one in. Way too much work.

Thats a steal. But as said before, buy it, part it, and buy a stroker.

I wouldn't bother putting that one in. Way too much work.

What? A stroker can't touch that engine. He can get the whole thing so he can get the PCM, transmission, transfer case and what else he needs from it. Sure there will be a lot of work getting it in and making everything work 100% but I think it would be worth it. What ever he can part it our for will get you a very nice stroker.. but its still no SRT8 engine.

Well I put the cash up today. Welcome to my new project. I will have the car in the nxt week and it goes straight to my guy shop to go under the torch. I will try and keep a build thread to keep every1 updated. I hope we can get this done fairly quicky since this is my only car but as u all posted its to good to pass. As for a stroker I did that already so I will have a goldn 4.6 for sale once completed. Ill run that post whn ready but it has 12' on it. I am going to use the full drivetran includin axles bc his had 430 gears which will help over my stock gear. My only chang I'm lookin for is to elm“n the full whl driv so I can opt for it whn needed and enjy the pwr whn I want it there also. X ur fingers say a pray. For me whatevr u beleav in bc frm the looks of things ill need a maricle to mak ths come out the way my mind sees it. But whn I'm done I fell ill have a bad ass srt8 xj with 12 lbs of boost through a small procharger I have layin around and some hankook 32 mud tires

Back