• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3.73 gearing

kdub41

NAXJA Forum User
i need some for a d30 please help a member out i am picking up an 8.25 tonight trussed with 3.73 and i need the d30 3.73 to match :)

do you have a lp or hp? if lp you might try looking for some stock tj or lj gears off a I6 auto. i dont think hp xjs ever came with 3.73's

I thought some of the earlier (Renix?) models with the tow pkg came with 3.73. I have a factory HP 3.73 Dana gearset in mine but got it used from another Naxja member. Not sure what it came out of though.

Remember... you may need a new carrier depending on what gears you have now in the D30. The carrier break is at 3.55/3.73

Last edited:
Good luck finding good used 3.73. I got my set from a boneyard but they have been the only ones I have seen.
May want to think about regearing to 4.10 used. Much easyer to find they came with the 4 bangers.

Out here in the northeast, I've never managed to find a 4 banger XJ... perhaps they are more common elsewhere.

Plenty of 4cyl YJs/TJs though.

3.73--found in some XJs with the towing package, but I don't have a list of the years.

Don't forget that for the D30 there is a carrier break at 3.54/3.73.

I sourced mine from a NAXJA member by placing an ad in the Want to Buy forum.

Also, D30s were not restricted to XJs.

so are you saying that i can put 3.73 gearing in my stock d30?

You re-gear by changing the ring and pinion.

IF you have a HP D30, you will need reverse-cut gears; a LP D30 requires standard-cut gears.

IF your current gearing in the D30 is 3.54 or 3.07 (a**uming auto or manual trans--really, really nice when info is provided) then you will need to change the carrier, as the 3.73 and up (higher numerically) gears won't fit the old carrier.

Axle Gear Ratios
Jeep XJs came in several standard gearing ratios:
3.07:1, manual transmission, I6 engine.
3.54:1, automatic transmission, I6 engine with Dana 44 rear differential.
3.54:1, manual transmission, I4 diesel engine with Dana 35 rear differential.
3.55:1, automatic transmission, I6, V6 engines; manual transmission, I4 engine.
3.73:1, automatic transmission, I6, Tow Package, UpCountry Package.
4.10:1, manual transmission, V6; automatic transmission, I4 engine.
4.56:1, automatic transmission, I4, offroad or tow package.

Does not say the years, or if LP or HP matters, but it appears that it does not. Looks like as long as you had an auto with tow package, or upcountry package, then you could get 3.73 stock.

Source: Wikipedia

Last edited:
Back