• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Quick Disconnects

mcnamaag

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all, I work on and drive military vehicles for a living (STRYKERS) and today while pulling a engine I had a thought. All Army combat vehicles have quick disconnects for their engines to make pulling them easier. Could we do the same on our Jeeps? Make tranny,fuel,and run our electrical into 2 or 3 QDs. How cool would that be. To pull a engine you just pop a couple QDs, motor mounts, driveshaft and your done. What do you think? How hard could this be? Making the electrical ones would suck but once you are done you would be set. This might be a stupid idea hell maybe its been done let me know what you think. :wierd:

this would be a great idea for someone who changes engines often... but I don't think anyone on this board does that too often.
on the other side, if you could make it quick, it may be handy for droppin in your stroker for a trip to the trails.... and your 4banger for DD to save on fuel... but still don't think it will take off

Well I was thinking more for maint reasons. Oil leaks, cleaning, rear main replacement, etc. Not to mention more serious issues. Crank ,bearings, rebuilds, oil pumps. Just think its Saturday or Sunday your rigs a mess from wheeling in the mud, (plus you over reved it in a big hole and there is a noise in your crank case). Now all you have to do is get out the cherry picker pop a few QDs and your engine is out ready to be cleaned and inspected. Maybe its a dream but ....... THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QDs for my engine

Hey all, I work on and drive military vehicles for a living (STRYKERS) and today while pulling a engine I had a thought. All Army combat vehicles have quick disconnects for their engines to make pulling them easier. Could we do the same on our Jeeps? Make tranny,fuel,and run our electrical into 2 or 3 QDs. How cool would that be. To pull a engine you just pop a couple QDs, motor mounts, driveshaft and your done. What do you think? How hard could this be? Making the electrical ones would suck but once you are done you would be set. This might be a stupid idea hell maybe its been done let me know what you think. :wierd:

Re: QDs for my engine

sweet Idea, I used to be a 19d. Cav. Scout, mostly spent my time on Bradley Fighting Vehicles... amazing how fast we could pull one of those giant motors.... and that motor/trans had to move a 26 ton ride!

Thats my point!! I give a class to 19d's at Benning on operation and field maint on the STRYKERs every other month. So do you think this is possible? Any ideas? Any feedback would help.

sorry I thought I posted this in modified tech instead I accidently put it in OEM.

So you dont think it is worth it?

THANK YOU Any ideas? I am going to start tracing wires this weekend.

in all honesty, i think it almost takes me longer to remove the fans, grill and tranny bolts than it does to actually pull/drop the engine. there are already sort of "quick disconnects in the harness. if you disconnect the alternator harness at the plug instead of the alternator, you can leave all that attached to the engine. and the same with the main engine harness.

like i said, it takes me longer to make room to move the engine than to actually pull it. now if you could find a way to take the entire front face off the jeep with only 1 or 2 clicks, then that would be sweet as hell. oh and find a faster way to remove the 2 upper tranny to engine bolts.

Could you find the fittings to handle all the fluids? And how would you physically support the weight of the added connections in a short run of fuel line, or coolant hose?
I think it's a great idea though. Sure, it adds a failure point, but it's a serviceable failure point.

Im working on pressure limits on QDs at work now. I can work on harness connections this weekend. Give me ideas on what else is needed. What about push pins on the RADIATER and FAN shroud you know the ones that they use on plastic bumpers? I use them on mine and it makes pulling my fan shroud a breeze. You just have to figure out the electrical side of the house. I am going to buy a wiring harness out of a JEEP at the junk yard (for 10.00$ ) and plan on configuring it to work on a QD system.Give me your ideas!!!
:flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame:
LETS MAKE THIS WORK!!!!!!!!!!!! AND LETS MAKE IT EASY!!!!!!!!!!!

Back