• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 trans squeal.

88manche

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 88 MJ with 132K on the clock. I did a 4x4 conversion and replaced the trans with a 4x4 one. A few days ago, it started making a squealing noise that sounds like metal rubbing on metal. its not a belt, the transfer case, or the inside of the trans. its full of fluid.

the squeal occurs at startup and is very loud, irraticly at idle, in reverse at idle, in reverse moving, and whenever i hit a bump, no matter if im going 5 or 50 mph. sometimes on acceleration.

My first thoughts are a cracked flexplate, or the flexplate rubbing against the bellhousing or that sheetmetal peice in between the trans and motor, but i dont know how it could be loose. there are no gaps or anything between the trans and motor.

does anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:
I have an 88 MJ with 132K on the clock. I did a 4x4 conversion and replaced the trans with a 4x4 one. A few days ago, it started making a squealing noise that sounds like metal rubbing on metal. its not a belt, the transfer case, or the inside of the trans. its full of fluid.

the squeal occurs at startup and is very loud, irraticly at idle, in reverse at idle, in reverse moving, and whenever i hit a bump, no matter if im going 5 or 50 mph. sometimes on acceleration.

My first thoughts are a cracked flexplate, or the flexplate rubbing against the bellhousing or that sheetmetal peice in between the trans and motor, but i dont know how it could be loose. there are no gaps or anything between the trans and motor.

does anyone have any ideas?[

/QUOTE]http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1020927

Well, along with your other post, I would suspect something in the powertrain that can effect the engine's running and make metal-on-metal noise.

I'm thinking a broken flexplate, which would effect the CPS/CKP and the engine's firing.

Back