• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bumpstopping suggestions.

FlexdXJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
I got my new Jeep a couple days ago and I need to bumpstop it so i don't rip my flares off at WF. He threw in a couple hockey pucks for the front that need reinstalled and I have a pair of the crown extended rear bumps. Does this sound sufficient for my suspension setup? I am running 31x10.5's on 4 inch BS'd wheels, spacers in the front and a bastard pack with YJ leaves I believe in the rear. The front fenders are cut and the flares are relocated if that helps matters any.

As long as the hockey pucks are tall enough to suffice for proper bumpstopping.

As long as the hockey pucks are tall enough to suffice for proper bumpstopping.

So, you think I'll need more than one hockey puck? I was thinking I should probably put 2 on each side but wasn't sure.

Why dont you take it out and flex it up? Have a buddy spot you to see how close the tires are coming to interfering or causing damage.

Why dont you take it out and flex it up? Have a buddy spot you to see how close the tires are coming to interfering or causing damage.

I plan on it its just cold and snowy here right now, Gotta love winter! :(

i've heard as a general rule that you should have about 1" of bumpstop for every inch of lift. So for example, i have 6 hockey pucks installed for my 6.5" kit

ya i have 3 or 4 with 4" of lift too

i've heard as a general rule that you should have about 1" of bumpstop for every inch of lift. So for example, i have 6 hockey pucks installed for my 6.5" kit
Bump stopping has a lot less to do with lift than it does tire size.

You could bumpstop for say 33in tires with only a 2" budget boost. Now down the road you install a 6.5in lift and stay with the same tires. You wont have to add anymore bumpstop as its already set up for 33" tires regardless of the lift.

If anything it should be more like for every 2in of tire height you add you should add something like 1-1 1/2in of bumpstop.

The only really way to tell is flex it out and measure tho. Drive into a ditch and have a friend tell you when to stop so you dont go to far and wrinkle your fenders. Get out and look at the room between the rubber bumpstop and the coil bucket. That amount of room you have before it touches is about how much bumpstop you should add.

i think you're going to need more out back, i know i did.
you didnt mention shocks, and nobody else did, but you gotta take those into account as well. cant bottom em out and expect em to last long!

i think you're going to need more out back, i know i did.
you didnt mention shocks, and nobody else did, but you gotta take those into account as well. cant bottom em out and expect em to last long!

I'll have to ask about shocks. I have only had this one for 4 days and Am not sure what shocks it has. they look like duetche(sp?) tech shocks but I'm not sure how long they are compressed and extended.

You could bumpstop for say 33in tires with only a 2" budget boost. Now down the road you install a 6.5in lift and stay with the same tires. You wont have to add anymore bumpstop as its already set up for 33" tires regardless of the lift.

If you bumpstopped for 33's on a BB then went up to 6.5 inches you'd have to adjust the bumps anyways.

If you bumpstopped for 33's on a BB then went up to 6.5 inches you'd have to adjust the bumps anyways.
That doesn't make any sense. By adding longer springs you aren't going to make the tire go up into the fender anymore at full stuff before it hits the bumps... The bumpstops are on a fixed location on the axle/body.

Well, If you run 4 inches of bumpstop on a BB so the tires don't get stuffed into the fenders you will probably have to adjust the amount you have to allow for more flex when you go to 6.5 inches. That makes sense to me. Maybe its just me? :dunno:

As allready stated,flex it up with the shocks removed,bump-stop to fit,order shocks to fit that!

New shocks won't be ordered just yet. I plan on adding new springs and shocks in the summer so those are not on the important list.

Well, If you run 4 inches of bumpstop on a BB so the tires don't get stuffed into the fenders you will probably have to adjust the amount you have to allow for more flex when you go to 6.5 inches. That makes sense to me. Maybe its just me? :dunno:
I'm not trying to argue with you but just think about it man. Say you need 4 hockey pucks on the coil bucket so your 33's don't rub on a BB. You now add a 6.5in coil. You are going to have more up travel but its going to hit the bumpstop in the exact same location as it did before. It just starts further away now. Your tires are still going to "stuff into your fenders" just like they did with the BB.

You could also think of it this way. You could completely remove your coils and if your rig is bump stopped correctly the tires arent going to hit the fenders. No matter how long your coil is/how much lift you have the bumpstops will hit at the same point.

Back