• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 engine takes longer to warm up after cooling repairs?

jeeperguy21

NAXJA Forum User
On New Year's, I finally replaced my leaking water pump with an OEM replacement pump & a 195 degree thermostat on my 99 XJ. Ever since I have done that, it seems like the heep takes a lot longer to get up to operating temperature.

It used to heat up really quick to 210 degrees. Now it seems to take much longer and it rarely gets up to 210. It now gets up to between 190 and 210. Since I didn't replace the pump with a "high-flow" pump, and the thermostat is direct replacement, what might cause this to happen?

I installed a Mr. Gasket high flow thermostat and turbo city high flow housing and now sit at about 197 at highway. Nothing wrong with it. But for the winter season I taped up 3 of the 7 holes in the header panel and now it's heats up fairly quick and I still stay at around 200.

I blocked about 2/3 of the rad. with cardboard. Heats up faster & runs between 200-210. JIM.

Shouldn't be water pump related. I have seen variance in thermostat operation related to this. You could try a different stat if you want (I like stats from JEEP) or as long as it is getting to proper operating temperature, you may just accept this as a "characteristic" instead of a problem.

Verifying actual temperature of the coolant with an infrared point and shoot laser thermometer pointed at the thermostat housing is never a bad idea.

... But for the winter season I taped up 3 of the 7 holes in the header panel and now it's heats up fairly quick and I still stay at around 200.

I like that idea, effective but doesn't look like a chunk of cardboard.

That goes on this weekend.

Very good responses. Thanks for your ideas.

I absolutely prefer the Stant SuperStat Premium 195 degree thermostats over all others.

Back