• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Caliper Removal Bolt Size on 87 Laredo

jk333

NAXJA Forum User
Im going to take my front brake rotors off of my 87 Cherokee Laredo 4x4 tomorrow to have them turned. From the posts Ive read, all I need to do is unbolt the calipers and the rotors should come off? Does anybody know the size of the reverse torx bolts that hold on the calipers? In this thread: http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=63414&highlight=brake+rotor+removal it tells a few different sizes, and I would like to narrow it down to the correct size. I will have to buy the socket to take them off. Thanks.

Im going to take my front brake rotors off of my 87 Cherokee Laredo 4x4 tomorrow to have them turned. From the posts Ive read, all I need to do is unbolt the calipers and the rotors should come off? Does anybody know the size of the reverse torx bolts that hold on the calipers? In this thread: http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=63414&highlight=brake+rotor+removal it tells a few different sizes, and I would like to narrow it down to the correct size. I will have to buy the socket to take them off. Thanks.
It should be an 8mm recessed allen bolt. They sell allen head sockets or you can try an allen key.

Yes there should be two allen screws that hold the calipers on. The things that look like external torx bolts behind the brakes are not necessary to remove for removing the brakes. These are involved in replacing the hubs, and they are not e-torx, they require a 12-point 13mm socket.

Stock calipers should have regular allen head bolts.

I bought a multi pack of allen head sockets just to be safe and it turned out that the size I needed was actually a 7mm. Just in case anybody wondered. But, I got the job done. :)

You can unbolt the calipers using either the alan bolts or the 12points.

I prefer the 12 points, easier to put back together.

Back