• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Open doors

XJeeper87

NAXJA Forum User
How do i get the drivers side door open when it wont open?? How do i take the door panel off with the door closed???

take the screw out of the center of the inside handle, and take the cover off that the screw is holding on. the door handle should pull out and forward a bit, and you should be able to get to the lock rods and pull on them. one should unlock the door, and the other should pull the latch open.

mine did the same thing, some part of the linkage for my aftermarket power door lock actuators got bound up and wouldnt let the door unlock.

this was on a 95, yours may be slightly different depending on the year. either way you should be able to get the lock to disengage without removing the whole door panel.

this may be a stupid question as well, but have you tried unlocking it from the outside with the key? assuming you have keyless entry.. we really need more info about your jeep to help ya out here. :dunno:

Well, depends what your issue is I suppose. I will make the broad assumption that your door isn't frozen shut since your location says FL. I do agree with Grimm that we need more info on the Jeep/what is happening..

Is the problem that you can't get the door to unlock and therefore can't open the door? Or does the lock mechanism move/work but the door still not open?

I had an issue with the locks (manual locks) on my '93 that for some reason once in a while it would/will get bound up and not want to unlock. Whenever that happened I just climbed in from the passenger side and rocked the lock mechanism back and forth. Just pushed the lock towards the "locked" position (even though it was already locked) and then rocked it back towards the "unlocked" position. Sometimes I had to give it a bit more force, aka I gave a quick harder push in one direction or the other. Other times rocking the lock wouldn't work at all and I would just drive to where-ever it was that I needed to go and by the time I had reached my destination it had fixed itself. Sometimes I continued rocking the lock while driving and got it working mid drive. I never ended up tracking down the issue since I stopped driving the Jeep, but I get my new registration tomorrow and get it back on the road so I have to look into this again. I assume it is just something getting caught/bound up and the rocking will shake it loose, though idk for sure.

Last edited:
It unlocks

It wont open Im thinking a plastic bushing is worn out or broke cus it opened wen i got to gas station but not wen i left and i had to slam the door cus of the seat belt was in it

If it's jammed because of the lock mechanism (seat belt still stuck in it?) I posted a pic that may help you here http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1003779&highlight=55000766

You'll need to get the trim off the inside of the door, follow GrimmJeeper's instructions.

Scott - I can probably help you fix that, your lock mechanisms are gummed up just like mine were from the sound of it.

I got it i took off the handle inside jiggled it around a bit and then it opened so i lubed everything up with White Lithium grease and everything seems to be working now

Back