• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.10 gears and 31x10.50 tires

242_cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Would this be an acceptable DD combo? Or is that too much gear and not enough tire? I dont do any extreme wheeling or anything. just mostly on road driving. Just wondered if it would help gas milage any.

That's just about perfect, regardless of whether you drive manual or automatic.

I ran 4.10s and 30x9.50s on a '93 for years getting 20 mpg hwy and smoking all the ricers off the line... :D

Last edited:
4.10's are great for 32-33's on the highway,but for 31's youll might actually lose mileage.

I dont know about your current mpg, but you will definitely have more "oomph" with 4.10s I do not see much of a loss of mpg, if any in comparison to running stock gears with 31s

when i quit being a poor college kid, i'm gonna do 4.10's and 31's or 32's. 3.55's and 30's is pissing me off fast. i'm bogged down goin up any kind of grade, and my transmission is pissed about down shifting every ten seconds. i had 3.73's in my last xj with 32's, and it was fine, but was also a manual. this jeep also has a renix 4.0 with almost 300k on the clock.

4.10s and 31s are roughly the basic equivalent of stock ratio.

Factor in the added unsprung weight of the larger, heavier tires and you are probably still a little behind stock performance.

90 4.0. If i may? what is standard gearing for the xj? i have all stock w/minor upgrades and more to come, can i just slam a set of 4:10's in the stock rear and temp run my stock set up? thanks TJ

First, search is your friend. There's also a sticky on this under FAQ.

I have 31's and 4.10's on my 96 with the 4.0 and AW4 and I don't feel they are low enough. I run between 2k and 2100 RPM at 60mph road speed in OD when the torque converter locks up. Any kind of big hill and many smaller ones it will kick down. and we have a lot of them here. Some of that is the altitude, even at only 6000 feet it makes a difference.

I'm in the middle going to 4.88's and 33's.

Back