• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering shimmy

rockhead

NAXJA Forum User
1997 w/ 120,000 miles
Did a budget boost at 105,000 miles and got the shimmy at 45-50 slight at first becoming near death wobble like. Changed the trackbar and had it aligned. Shimmy gone. Now on friday I notice that my front tires have worn badly on the inside. I rotate my tires on Sunday front to back and instantly have near death wobble again at 45-50 mph. Thought it would be ball joints but I can not get any movement out of them. Any ideas?

I'll start by saying wheel balance. You just rotated them, and got the DW back. Get a helper to work the steering wheel while you watch and feel all the joints-tie rods, both ends of track bar, try to see if there's any movement at control arm bushings, etc. A little play in a few joints can add up to a really bad part.
I also recently went through out-of-round tires, a nice set of 30k mile old Dayton Timberlines, had them since new, took good care, etc. Balanced nice, but hell to drive on.
How old are all your u-joints? They can be co-conspirators.
A lot of your parts are pushing 13 years old, and are budget-boosted to new positions in their old age.
I have just given you a few of the most recent things I've had to deal with, and hopefully pointed you in the right direction.

Back