• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

has anybody done the YJ steering box conversion???

scorpio_vette

NAXJA Forum User
i keep reading posts on here about people upgrading their steering boxes to durango and stuff like that. but i was wondering if anybody did the YJ steering box upgrade.

i saw mention of it at the T&T customs website when i was looking at their bumpers. they say that the YJ box has 4 bolt mounting instead of just 3 like the XJ, and that apparently the box gearing is different and better for offroad.

http://www.tntcustoms.com/webV4/xj4boltsteering.asp

Any truth to that info on TNT's site?

This is the second or third time this has come up. After Febuary I may dig up a YJ box and do some fitment testing. I picked up a spare XJ box I was going to teach myself to rebuild and tap for assist, but if a YJ box has a better steering rate and better mounts, that might be a fun project. I'm sure I could modify my c-rok plate to do the same thing they are doing there, just gotta drill a new hole and dig up another sleeve.

Food for thought.

91 Jeep Project said:
Yeah, nothing against TnT, but that is the only place I have ever heard anything about it.

well i could see where the difference would come in. the wrangler was always considered a little more of a "off-road toy", whereas the cherokee was a little bit more of a comfort creature. kinda like the commander is now. so i could see how some thing would have been changed. but i would like to find more info on that too.

I have the kit sitting in my garage. It looks really stoute, but I have been laggin to put it in due to other projects. I hope to have it in, in the next few weeks. I still have to pick up a yj box. I let y'all know how it works.

sik4wheeler said:
I have the kit sitting in my garage. It looks really stoute, but I have been laggin to put it in due to other projects. I hope to have it in, in the next few weeks. I still have to pick up a yj box. I let y'all know how it works.
Any chance we could get some measurements and drawings? I'm not sure I see how it bolts up.

Question... So the YJ box has 4 mounting points. Do 3 match up with the XJ?

I need a new steering box and have a lead on a YJ box. Just wondering if it would work without the 4th bolt for now.

not sure myself all I know he says lock to lock is more turns now
elaborate a little for me on it he may like to know.

Basically the boxes are identical, Wagoneer, J10, Cherokee, XJ. They all are a standard 3 bolt saginaw with a 3" Bore. Only J20s came with a different box. Identical to all the others except that it has/had a 3.5" Bore. The AGR Super Boxes for the XJ/TJ/ZJ etc, are just a rebuilt J20 box, tapped for Hydro Assist.

91 Jeep Project said:
Basically the boxes are identical, Wagoneer, J10, Cherokee, XJ. They all are a standard 3 bolt saginaw with a 3" Bore. Only J20s came with a different box. Identical to all the others except that it has/had a 3.5" Bore. The AGR Super Boxes for the XJ/TJ/ZJ etc, are just a rebuilt J20 box, tapped for Hydro Assist.

Unfortunately, my AGR super two box wasn't drilled and tapped for Hydro assist. Must be a later model option.

Jeep914x4 said:
Question... So the YJ box has 4 mounting points. Do 3 match up with the XJ?

I need a new steering box and have a lead on a YJ box. Just wondering if it would work without the 4th bolt for now.

Well, I drove 2 hours to answer my question and luckily, three of the 4 holes DO line up! I just purchased the C-rock inner spacer and you can't modify it to work. The extra hole is away from the brace. I might have something made up and utilize the extra bolt.

The 4th bolt on a 4 bolt box is falls about 1/2 way ver the top of the frame rail. You need to add a sleeve and weld it in with a reinforcement strap to keep it in place.

Is it worth it? Maybe. With an ORGS or CROK plate, you're probably fine with 3 bolts. With hydro as well, you'll definately be OK.

Back