• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

muffler

mcbrado

NAXJA Forum User
1998 Cherokee Sport 4WD 4L/6cyl with a APN manifold and 2 inch lift.

I am going to buy a muffler from RockAuto. I had planned on picking one up from AdvanceAuto Parts, but theirs was 75 bucks. The guy there said if I didn't get his, I would need to get extra pipes in order to make it fit properly. Is this true? Rock Auto has them listed for $19-60 plus shipping.

Here is what I am looking at on RockAuto:
1998 JEEP CHEROKEE 4.0L 242cid L6 MFI (S) : Exhaust : Muffler

I am just looking for an inexpensive quiet muffler to replace the holey one I have now. Should I get the Walker Super or would the Enforcer II Universal work? Would I need extra parts?

Thanks guys!

B

If you get a muffler with the same overall length and inlet/outlet arrangement, it will fit. If you get a shorter muffler, or one with a different configuration, then yes, you will need more parts.

How do I know if it fits? On rock auto it just lists several different mufflers that are supposed to fit my Jeep. I just assumed they would all fit. Is this not the case?

You didn't specify which muffler you're looking at, so I'm looking at the website. See where some mufflers say "direct fit", and some say "universal"? That's normally a good indicator. I see some also list the dimensions. That's another way to check.

Best bet at this point.. order a dynomax catback exhaust, they have a MIR for 50$
So for under 100$ you will have full catback to replace your exhaust.

You didn't specify which muffler you're looking at, so I'm looking at the website. See where some mufflers say "direct fit", and some say "universal"? That's normally a good indicator. I see some also list the dimensions. That's another way to check.

So, if it is a direct fit then i just need the muffler, and if it is universal I may need some other stuff?

Is there a site that would list the dimensions of the original muffler?

B

Back