• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB question

ive had luck.... once.... the other times it worked terrible.

on its all installed...has anybody ever had any luck "guess" tunning there cb?
or do you have to use the SWR (VSWR) meter?

There's really no alternative to using an SWR meter. It's impossible to guess the wave length of an unseen radio signal.

I didn't touch my SWR, and on a trail ride not too long ago I was the one who could talk with the pair of Jeeps at the beginning of the trail who were waiting for a tow.

you can pick them up at radio shack and truck stops as well. it only takes a few minutes, so maybe you could find someone near by that will let you borrow theirs or take a few minutes to help you out.

on its all installed...has anybody ever had any luck "guess" tunning there cb?
or do you have to use the SWR (VSWR) meter?

Thanks guys,

Shane

Sure, people do it all the time. they hook it up.. turn it on and if there buddies can hear them.. they think "I guess its tuned ok?" :)

the only problem I can think of using the "seat of your pants" approach is the possibility of damaging your cb. I'd rather spend a few bucks for an swr meter than replacing my cb a couple times a year because I didn't want take a few minutes to tune my antenna.

Most good shops will tune for free also!

Just because your radio can be heard good doesn't mean it's set right. A radio with high SWR's will talk good and be quit loud, but it will burn your radio up for sure. :piratefla

there aint chit for cb shops around here finaly got one at radio shack for almost a million dollars.....

Yeah Radio Shack is high dollar for sure!

It is worth owning your own, as you can frequently check it, and even tune your antenna for more strength on certain channels that you know you will be using. I probably take it out 3 or 4 times a year and "tune" my antenna. It also keeps you from broadcasting and sounding like sh..t

Back