• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Airlift airbag install on Cherokee

xj_mike

NAXJA Forum User
Finally, after 2 years of wanting to do this project, our trip out to Death Valley put this to the top of the list. I had added extra gas cans and holder to the front of the Kamparoo camping trailer, which added about an extra 120 lbs. to the tongue. It was causing the Cherokee to squat way more and left us with about 2" of travel before bottoming out. Time to fix this.

I ordered a custom package from an Airlift vendor (recommend by Airlift since they don't sell direct). I got the Cherokee kit minus the airbags that came with it. I had gotten a chart from Airlift and selected the airbags that would work with my lift. As it is, I am going to add an extra 1" spacer to my bump stops just to keep from bottoming the airbags.

Overall the install is easy. I did flip the upper mounts upside down to help compensate for the lift. I took this into account when I ordered everything. This has been documented by other rigs I have found out there, so nothing ground breaking there. I think getting the airlines routed (and drilling the mounts to allow me to go thru them) took as long as the actual bag install.

Haven't tested them yet and need to check today to see if there was any bleed down. Hopefully not or I'll have to find the leak. Well, onto the pics.

At stock ride height
PICT5792.jpg

Using the guide to set the mounts into the right spot
PICT5793.jpg

Airing up to see if everything is clear of the bag
PICT5794.jpg

Airline routed and put into wire loom, wrapped with tape. Still need to get a clamp to hold the line. I had every size but the one I needed. Also added the supplied heat shield but am going to get the rear exhaust pipe rerouted for more clearance.
PICT5795.jpg

Fill valve in bottom corner of the bumper. Enlarged a hole already there that allowed routing the line thru some brackets.
PICT5796.jpg

Overall that was it. Very simple install and I can't wait to try them out. Without the trailer, I will run the minimum allowed psi of 10. No idea what the sweetspot will be with the trailer yet.

Will those airbags limit your droop? Or they move the full range of leaf travel?

Will those airbags limit your droop? Or they move the full range of leaf travel?

They are longer then I have travel. Shocks top out before bags do but I do need to add a 1" spacer to my bump stops so I don't over compress the bags.

Can't wait to try them out.

Please keep us updated! I've been eyeing up an airbag setup like this for quite a while now but haven't heard any real world experience from another guy with an XJ... everyone I know runs them on big rigs so it'd be good to have an idea of how they work in our application.

You may find yourself needing to brace the area where the bag bolts to. That metal there is probably not that strong especially with the weight of the trailer and cherokee on those bolts.

I tried this on my XJ. I found I had to only use them for towing, and that you cannot use stock wheels with them. You need to move the tire out or it will rub. Also, they won't hold up to off road articulation.

i dont know how you use your xj but if it were mine, i would be worried about smashing the fill valve on something having it be on the bottom of the bumper? just a thought.

I've thought about doing this too. For the naysayers, the XXXepediton guy had much the same setup I guess, and he wheeled the beejeebies out of it.

Do you have the OME AAL? Which shocks? Thanks for posting this up.

Well, I haven't been following along the last few days but will answer some questions. As nates94xj noted, XXXepedtion as well as GoJeep have both done this airbag setup with success and no problems. I am not blazing any new ground here. Currently they are bolted into the frame but if I see any problems, I will weld them. Easy fix if needed

I am not sure why the stock 16" wheels and 245/75-16 tires will be any issue. If I can rub the bags with them, I got some other serious issues like a broken spring.

I am not running any AAL as this is why I did the airbags. I wanted it to be about the same ride without any load and be able to firm things up with the trailer. Shocks are Bilstein 5150's but I don't recall the length but they top out before the bags do.

For those who don't know what trailer I am towing, our Kamparoo is not a "mall crawler" trailer nor do we use it as such. Here are a couple pics from Mengel Pass (going up it) in Death Valley.

728399893_qNFhr-L.jpg

728400151_fnBb5-L.jpg

728400268_bKHYC-L.jpg

BTW, we were the only trailer in the group to walk up this without any issue. We actually made it up easier than some of the other rigs. YMMV :D

Looks like a good setup. Might want to change the lower 5150 rod end to a heim end from the 7100 (reduce bushing bind while articulating) and a limit strap to limit overextension.

... Shocks are Bilstein 5150's but I don't recall the length but they top out before the bags do.

BTW, we were the only trailer in the group to walk up this without any issue. We actually made it up easier than some of the other rigs. YMMV :D

Wanted to do a follow up post. After driving on them for a day, I was starting to hear a sound from the driver side, that sounded like the bracket was starting to loosen up. Since that side only uses 1 thru bolt and 3 self tapping bolts, I decided to just weld the brackets to the subframe. I made some extension pieces for the outside of the brackets, to help distribute the load more. Got them welded on and I don't think they are going anywhere now. :D

I also made my 1" spacers for the bumpstops. Just aluminum stock but should do the trick. Should be set now.

Pic showing tire clearance (245/75-16 on stock 16x7 wheels)
PICT5811.jpg

Brackets welded on with outer extensions
PICT5812.jpg

With some paint
PICT5813.jpg

Bumpstop spacers made
PICT5814.jpg

Should be trying them out in mid Jan on our next trip.

Back