• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flexplate Starter teeth grinding problem

Ecomike

NAXJA# 2091
NAXJA Member
A while back I replaced the starter on the 89 jeep, 4.0, AW4. Afterwords it continued to have occasional (but not as frequent) grinding, nashing sounds on start attempt issues. After some discussions with 5-90 and 8Mud, I pulled the starter and used a hand drill with a brass tipped wire wheel to clean the front of the teeth where there were burs on the teeth in the common wear spots, and I cleaned the teeth smooth. The worse teeth still have 75 to 80% of the original metal depth of the tooth left, but the problem was raised burs that occasional kept the teeth from meshing properly before the starter began turning, resulting in the nashing and grinding and further gear and flexplate tooth damage.

Anyway, long story short, the wire wheel cleaning was about 150 starts ago, at least, and we have had no further problems, not even once! Beats the hell out of swapping flex plates! I will try and post a picture here if I can figure how too. Our FAQ section says we can up load attachments and images here, but the menu it says to use is missing, so I guess the FAQ is outdated?

Last edited:
Back