• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP 6.5 RC old lift going to 8?

1evilxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have the older RC 6.5" lift in my jeep as I bought it that way. It does have Teraflex lower arms and Skyjacker 5000 shocks. My question is does anyone know what the OLD RC kit contained for rear spring and shackle dimentions? I know that the kit came with new shackles but was wondering if they were 1" or 1.5" or ect. length. My goal is 8" of total lift and long arm. So 1st, any suggestions of a long arm kit( was looking into Iron Rock) and what do you guys think about the rear set up to get 8". In the front I will just be putting in 2" coil spacers. In the rear I was going to try longer shackles(hence not knowing what is in there now), a block or maybe both. If anyone has any info or suggestions hook me up. Also any pics and descriptions of set ups to get 8" would be great too.

Well first what size of tire are you wanting to run with that much lift, for the rear you really don't want to be putting blocks in, a 1 inch at the most. Depending on how much lift your leafs have you could go with shackle relocation brackets and some longer shackels to get more lift and a better ride, and for long arms well theres a bunch out there, rough country just came out with an affordable long arm also. You will also need a SYE with that much lift if you don't have one all ready.

http://www.hdoffroadengineering.com/products/xj-shackle-relocation-kit

http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_689U.html

X2 on the tire size. With that much lift 35's minimum. Also you could look into BIG off road (aka BOR) for your leafs. Just a warning about them is the 6" is really more like 7.5" unless you've got a bunch of gear and a spare tire in the back. He designed it that way. But BOR has a really good reputation around here for awesome flex and ride quality.

http://www.bigoffroad.com/products-page/bigoffroad-leaf-packs/

As far as shackles go i run the RE boomarang shackles and love them.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16311_5600.htm?sgsc=QSHOPGBASE

I'm actually running 33 12.5 right now but really like the way my old xj(rustys 8" LA) sat with that tire combo. Right now my tires rub with the wheel cranked after trimming that I did. I probably will run 34" tires with the 8". If you guys had a choice of Iron Rock or RC long arms which way would you go?. I do not have a SYE yet but that is also in the works, not sure on the hak and tap or go all out with full kit. I heard the RE H&T is pretty good. Are you guys running aftermarket drive shafts or cut oem?

first of all, not to flame, but 8" is way too much lift for 34s.

IRO and RC are both good choices for a LA set up. choice is ultimately yours.

and for the SYE, some run custom shafts from aftermarket companies, some run XJ front shafts, not cut. if anything, for an 8" lift, you will need to have it lengthened.

At 6.5" of lift, if you're rubbing with 33s, something's gotta be wrong. I'm an inch lower with 33s and cut fenders. The only place I had any rubbing was the control arms since the wheels were the wrong backspacing. I got some 1.5" wheel spacers and the rubbing is gone. Out back, I still have the same wheels, and the tires have never even come close to hitting anything.

I actually started looking around and found the trac bar to be off. The drivers side tire is about an inch out more than the pass. The drivers is the side I am rubbing on. As far as cutting I have only trimmed the lower inside corners where the tires where hitting. I have heard of others moving the flares up and actually cutting more off. I tried posting a pic of my old jeep but can't figure this site out with pics. As far as LA, I guess I have to make up my mind and I'm pushing more towards the Iron Rock after reading reviews. Not sure of the backspace on my wheels, havn't checked yet.

with 6.5" of lift, you should be on 35"s. with 8" of lift you should be on 37"s or even 38"s..
I am on 5" of lift and i think my 33"s look kind of small. then again, my fenders have been trimmed.
Thats my opinion.

with 6.5" of lift, you should be on 35"s. with 8" of lift you should be on 37"s or even 38"s..
I am on 5" of lift and i think my 33"s look kind of small. then again, my fenders have been trimmed.
Thats my opinion.

in my humble opinion 5.5" is more than enough for ANY XJ (mud queens excluded)

tall tires also raise your center of gravity. i'd pee myself if i wheeled 8" and 38's, sure wider running gear helps, but still an excessive height for that tire

I am going to maybe just throw in a 1" spacer in the front and shackle in the rear for now. First things first I need to get the sye in and the LA's. Having the front shaft done here locally. Havn't figured out the rear yet, any suggestions?

If you have an auto tranny, most people use a front shaft off another XJ in the rear w/SYE's.

Personally, I sometimes think my 33"s look small on my 3" lift. I have trimmed fenders, but not insanely trimmed.

Back