• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winch shorting to ground. Repair possible?

jamiemac

NAXJA Forum User
I have an off brand winch about 8 years old, that appears to be the exact same winch as the one Harbor Freight sells. It started having issues with a 1/2 amp power draw from the battery that required me to disconnect it from my battery until I can fix it. Anybody have any experience on what to look for on the types of winches that could cause a constant power draw, but still work when used?

I would like to fix it, cause it has been a pretty good winch, but I'm not finding any online parts sources, so it will have to be done without buying any.

I disconnected all wires from the solenoids and winch motor, and checked the continuity of all 3 winch terminals to ground. all are shorted to ground.

All input is welcome.

Mac

Best I can offer is to dig into it and see what's come loose. Take pix as you go (Polaroids or digitals) so you have a reference guide for putting it all back together.

It's what I'd end up doing, if it were mine and I wanted to find out what was going on...

Best I can offer is to dig into it and see what's come loose. Take pix as you go (Polaroids or digitals) so you have a reference guide for putting it all back together.

It's what I'd end up doing, if it were mine and I wanted to find out what was going on...

That's probably what I'll do but,"Polaroids". Heck man, I would have to get James Garner to help with that. LOL. You're showing Your age a little.

That's probably what I'll do but,"Polaroids". Heck man, I would have to get James Garner to help with that. LOL. You're showing Your age a little.

Get bent, buddy!:smootch:

You know what I mean - you're just going to want something better than a (usually fading) memory to put the wretched thing back together properly.

This is why I'd kept a Polaroid camera in my toolbox for the longest time - especially for automatic transmission work!

Get bent, buddy!:smootch:

You know what I mean - you're just going to want something better than a (usually fading) memory to put the wretched thing back together properly.

This is why I'd kept a Polaroid camera in my toolbox for the longest time - especially for automatic transmission work!

Now that I think about it...I bet those things are worth money. You should dig and see if ya still got it. You could be an ebay millionaire.

If I had one, I'd just trade it for a new winch.LOL:laugh:

Back