• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Maybe ID tag, if you know what it means, or pulling the diff cover, or if the wheels are off the ground try turning a wheel forward and see which way the other one turns. If they turn the same way then it has an LSD/locker (possibly someone installed one).

theres a sticker applied in the factory, on lsd vehicles, i cant remember what it says (havent had anything with an lsd), but it's in the glovebox.

good luck finding it, im sure its extremely rare, but I know when I grabbed my 29 spline that it had a tag that read 3.55 open. If your really gung-go start pulling diff covers and checking, otherwise just get a real locker.

I heard at one point that generally if it had a full sized spare, then it had LSD. My 98 had a sticker in the glove box.

The best way is to spin the wheels or pull the diff cover.

i want one that's 3.55 open myself, so i can throw it a lunchbox locker without getting a new carrier... i'm waiting till i get my fsj goin first before i buy one.

I heard at one point that generally if it had a full sized spare, then it had LSD. My 98 had a sticker in the glove box.

Not always so, the full-sized spare was also just another option.

that's if you can read the tag, it was made out of some cheap tin or something and they usually are all corroded/rusted to hell and back. spent a good 30 min with a dremmel to clean up the tag on mine and after that it was hard to distinguish what it said. The best way and easy way to do it with out even looking at the axle is get a build sheet from Jeep on your XJ.

If you are trying to find one at a JY just start cracking open the diffs. Or take a flash light and open the stop plug and take a peak inside.

I heard at one point that generally if it had a full sized spare, then it had LSD.

You heard wrong.

Not true at all, I actually haven't come across any 8.25's with LSD's yet. My loaded '99 sport did not have one (full size spare on alloys).

You heard wrong.

Not true at all, I actually haven't come across any 8.25's with LSD's yet. My loaded '99 sport did not have one (full size spare on alloys).

Hmmmm....I found a wrecked 98 Sport with an LSD on CL for a song and a dance. The wrecked 2000 Sport I got my interior from was also an LSD 8.25. I could find probably 3 or 4 other LSD 8.25's for less than $75. But I don't think that you could get an XJ with an LSD that had a compact spare.

For that reason, I stand by my statement that if it has a full sized spare. Then it's worth taking a 2nd look for an LSD. I also said the only sure way is to spin the wheels or pull the diff cover.

Hmmmm....I found a wrecked 98 Sport with an LSD on CL for a song and a dance. The wrecked 2000 Sport I got my interior from was also an LSD 8.25. I could find probably 3 or 4 other LSD 8.25's for less than $75. But I don't think that you could get an XJ with an LSD that had a compact spare.

For that reason, I stand by my statement that if it has a full sized spare. Then it's worth taking a 2nd look for an LSD. I also said the only sure way is to spin the wheels or pull the diff cover.
You are correct, you can't get an LSD if it has a compact spare for the obvious reason that if you put it on the rear, you will have two tires traveling at different speeds, and will burn up the LSD clutch packs.

Your statement was "if you have a full sized spare, you have an LSD". Of course you will have a full sized spare if you have an LSD, because the LSD was only available with a full sized spare.

A full sized spare is required to have an LSD, but an LSD is not required to have a full sized spare.

I'm glad you found a few 8.25's with LSD's on craigslist. I'm glad you found them for under $75 too, but how does that have anything to do with your argument that 8.25's with full size spares have LSD's? I'm sure if I went and searched on craigslist I could find a few D44s too, but that doesn't mean that every XJ came with one, as we all know.

Mine '99 has it.
I'm happy for you.

Thanks! ;) Just replying to your statement you never saw an 8.25 with an LSD...I agree with you BTW in re to the spare thing.

I wasn't being sarcastic if you were taking it that way. I'm glad you have an 8.25 with an LSD, I wasn't fortunate enough to get one. It doesn't matter for me now as I have a selectable locker in my rear axle.

You are correct, you can't get an LSD if it has a compact spare for the obvious reason that if you put it on the rear, you will have two tires traveling at different speeds, and will burn up the LSD clutch packs.

Your statement was "if you have a full sized spare, you have an LSD". Of course you will have a full sized spare if you have an LSD, because the LSD was only available with a full sized spare.

A full sized spare is required to have an LSD, but an LSD is not required to have a full sized spare. I'm happy for you.

You need to re-read my full statement.

At no point, did I say that every XJ with a full sized spare had an LSD. Please don't put words in my mouth.

Back