• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need help setting caster aftery waggy build

wishihad1

NAXJA Forum User
hey everybody

im thinking that my caster right now is pretty close to zero. my jeep actually drives fairly decently for what it is (38s, 3 link, heims etc) but i think that my hydraulic assist up front is masking some problems.

i set my pinion angle at 5 degrees during the build, and did not turn the knuckles, so that had to have an affect on my caster. can i get an accurate caster reading from setting an angle finder on top of my knuckles?

also my TNT LCA mounts didn't come with slots to adjust the arms, so im guessing ill have to do it by turning the joints out at the bottom, and bringing the top in.

i think ill shoot for 4-5 degrees and thats negative correct. so it should lay the axle back?

well ive got locking hubs, so in hind-site i should have set my caster and let my pinion angle go as my DS wont be turning but at low speeds anyways

turning the knuckles is no longer an option as my truss runs from knuckle to knuckle and theres no way in hell im cutting that off so i can turn the knuckles

Pinion angle is more important than caster. Use adjustable ball joints to get that back to spec. Preffered is more like +8 but 4 or 5 will do. You can get adjustable ball joints to compensate for up to 4 degrees so that's the route I'd take.

well ive got locking hubs, so in hind-site i should have set my caster and let my pinion angle go as my DS wont be turning but at low speeds anyways

turning the knuckles is no longer an option as my truss runs from knuckle to knuckle and theres no way in hell im cutting that off so i can turn the knuckles
If your driveshaft won't be turning on the road then set your caster for the best angle (5-7* is what I have read ) and don't worry about the pinion angle unless it gets ridiculously out of range. I measure my caster with an angle finder on the bottom of the "C".

cool...ill mess with it, and get both to be "optimal" for how its already set up

1 more question. what is considered positive. ive heard the top of the knuckle needs to be laid back, and other say it needs to be laid forward?

Top of the knuckle needs tilted back towards the rear of the vehicle. This is positive caster.

Pinion angle is more important than caster. .

disagree

i prefer safety

factory says pinion angle takes prioroty. but the factory isnt dealing with lift kits and custom axles from other vehicles.

he has locking hubs so vibrations arent an issue at speed, as long as it isnt binding he should be good

yea...sorry about the repost

i searched for a while, but didn't remember what the title of the thread was. and this weekend was the first week i was home since summer to check the jeep out

Back