• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

newb has some lift questions

ridinhigh07

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '97 cherokee country and i wanna get and even and comfortable 2" lift. I just bought the 2" springs from Rustys and was about to put blocks in the back but from what i've read on the forum they do more harm then good. So what should i buy to get 2" lift in the back. Will i need longer shocks? If so, which ones do u recommend? Is there anything else i need for the 2" lift?

first a couple questions:
what type of wheeling do you do?
How much are you willing to spend on it?
any plans for a higher lift in the future?

my advice would be if you plan on lifting higher in the future, to wait, and save up for a decent 4.5-6" lift and some good tires. it stinks having to buy twice.. the cherokee can be a great rig when stock, it even helps you to learn how to wheel better when lifted, because you need to find good lines and sturdy tracks.

if, however you just want some extra clearence for camping grounds or fishing, read on

personnally what i would do would be get a 3 inch spring pack (full leaf spring set) and remove one leaf, then weight the back down for a couple weeks to level it out. it should be nice and soft, and about 2" (you may have a SLIGHT rake forward, but not too bad.

if you are short on cash get an ADD-A-LEAF they are cheap fixes, and, without a good amount of trail use, can hold up ok.

mind you this is all advice if you DO NOT plan on lifting in the future. like i said, if you do, just save up and get a good lift later, theres no press for time to get it lifted...

I'd agree 2" blocks is not the best way to lift the rear 2". There are other options.. for a easy and better way.. I'd suggest 1" lift shackles and 1" lift blocks. I'm going to say lift shackles are important to any lifting on a XJ, since the stock ones bind. So, I'm saying.. u need lift shackles with lift springs or blocks.

For shocks.. now, you need 2" longer shocks, if you lifted 2" There are ways to stay with stock shocks. You can move your shock mounts up 2" on the rear axle and gain some ground clearance. For the front, you can make a 2" spacer. So, this way you dont have to buy new shocks.

You said you want a comfortable 2" lift ? so.. that probably means you want it to ride as nice as possible with 2" of lift. You'll need to look into correcting your pinion angle and castor degree. I'll say that lift spring packs will not help your comfort level.. so thats why you should stick with blocks/shackles for only 2".

rocklandxjer said:
first a couple questions:
what type of wheeling do you do?
How much are you willing to spend on it?
any plans for a higher lift in the future?

I dont to a whole lot of wheeling now but obviously when i do get the lift and tires (which i already have) i will definetly be playing in the snow and do some minor wheeling :)

I'm willing to spend another $350 for the rest of the lift cause like i said i already have the 2" springs, tires, rustys brake line extenders, and flowmaster 50 series

I doubt i'd go any bigger cause its a DD and i dont want terrible gas mileage seeing that i'm still a senior in high school

NO.

do not get that combo.

shackles put extra downward stresses on the leaves, which cause even stock leaves to warp prematurely. add a block to the mix and you will have severely warped leaves. Im telling you, your best option for cheap is an add a leaf. shackles and a block will only worsen your spring pack

put it this way, its 60 bucks for an add a leaf and about 60 for shackles. get the add a leaf youll be glad you did

why not just get the 2 inch add a leaf kit rustys offers? its 250, that leaves you more for the muffler and the lines

also, you get 4 shocks with it, seems like the only good way to go cheap yet efficient

is there any other parts i need that the lift doesnt have?
the problem is if i do that than i already oredered 2" springs a couple days ago... does any1 kno their return policy?

Returns and Exchanges
Returns will be for store credit only. Permission must be obtained from Rusty's Off Road prior to returning merchandise for exchange or store credit. All unauthorized returns will not be accepted. Exchanges or credits must be made within 30 days of your date of purchase. No returns are offered on special orders or installed merchandise. Returns must be in new condition and factory packaging.

from the site.
id call up, see if they shipped already, from my experience they have had great customer service.
if they do ship to you, tell them your situation and say that you would like to return the springs and get the whole 2 inch kit (and whatever other parts you want to get)

that is, if you choose to go this route.

good luck, have fun

and finally my last question hahaha i was gonna get my mechanic bro to install it for me but he has a herniated disc and obviously cant do it now, so where could i get it installed for a reasonable price?

have your bro stand/sit there and tell you what to do, it isn't hard at all, espicailly if you have someone who knows what they are doing there to guide you. the whole process should only take maybe 4-5 hours being done by virgin hands... not very hard, just take your time and you'll get it fine.

Back