• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission bad?

Crush

NAXJA Forum User
Hello.I have a 1989 Jeep Wagoneer Limited.The issue is that when you start the Jeep and put it in drive it goes like normal,but when I stop and try to go again it seems like the tranny becomes disengaged.When I press on the gas to go all that happens is the engine revs up.If I put it in park,shut of the engine and restart it will work fine until I stop again.I pulled the fuse for the TCU and tried to manually shift it,but still had the same results.Tranny fluid looks fine.Any suggestions?

Sounds like your Torque Converter is not doing it's job. Could be serious, or not.

What trans fluid is is it. The easiest thing you can do is drain and fill the trans. It's a starting point. Drain, fill. Fill with 1 qt. Lucas tranny + Dex III or better Dex .

Don't over fill. See what that does for you. Can't hurt, might help.

I had a similar problem while you are changing the trans fluid and filter you will see three little solenoids there are 2 shift and 1 torque converter solenoid. I replaced all three as well as fluid changes and the trans works like new.

I had a similar problem while you are changing the trans fluid and filter you will see three little solenoids there are 2 shift and 1 torque converter solenoid. I replaced all three as well as fluid changes and the trans works like new.

He said he had the problem with the trans computer fuse pulled and shifting manually. That would rule out the solenoids. Could just be low fluid.

Hello.I have a 1989 Jeep Wagoneer Limited.The issue is that when you start the Jeep and put it in drive it goes like normal,but when I stop and try to go again it seems like the tranny becomes disengaged.When I press on the gas to go all that happens is the engine revs up.If I put it in park,shut of the engine and restart it will work fine until I stop again.I pulled the fuse for the TCU and tried to manually shift it,but still had the same results.Tranny fluid looks fine.Any suggestions?

Did you pull the trans fuse in the fuse block, 7.5 amp, or the in-line 10 amp fuse on the yellow wire leading to the TCU under the dash by the glove box?

If it was the fuse block, wrong fuse.

Back