• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

track bar

AJTorris

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so i have the RK Track bar with the heim joint and the bracket. I have an issue with it though. Ever since i put it on it the bolts tend to come loose a little bit and i start to get a creking when i turn the steering wheel. When i go off roading every now and then it will start to get loose more and make me get a shimmy. What could i do to stop it. I thought about tack welding it on but not sure if i should.

have you tried a NEW lock nut? and torquing it down to proper specs? my track bar was loose today at the axle and i couldnt believe how much i was off when i put the torque wrench to it... i think it's 76ft lbs at the axle and 64 at the top... your best bet is a stover lock nut, they dont wear out like nylon lock nuts do, you can get them at budget bolt across the street from hooters.

I torque them down to specs. The nut is welded on to the jeeps side so all i can do with out taking the nut off is replace the bolt.

Loctite?

Ok so i have the RK Track bar with the heim joint and the bracket. I have an issue with it though. Ever since i put it on it the bolts tend to come loose a little bit and i start to get a creking when i turn the steering wheel. When i go off roading every now and then it will start to get loose more and make me get a shimmy. What could i do to stop it. I thought about tack welding it on but not sure if i should.

Are you talking about the bracket to the frame loosening, or the track bar to the mount loosening?

If it's the bracket loosening weld it on, if it's the track bar bolt loosening get a new bolt and torque it to spec with a lock nut and locktite. A new bolt torqued to spec shouldn't get loose. What size bolt is it? What are you torquing it to?

The other explanation is that the misalignment spacers are collapsing, which will loosen the bolt. Get new/better spacers.

Its the bracket to the frame. I tacked it in place a bit before i went over to pismo and it held in place since. i just wanted to see if the tacks would make a difference and since they did gonna be welding it on the rest of the way.

Just weld it, it's the only way I've seen for it to not eventually come loose. But, pay attention to the inside, which is the weak point. The frame is layered there to get strength, and it can come apart. Weld the frame and the inside of the track bar mount together. Just welding the bracket to the frame on the outside can still let the inside come apart, both the bracket from the frame, and the frame layers from each other.

Obviously, I know both of those facts from personal experience. But, maybe everyone isn't as hard on their junk as I am...... :D

Back