• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What to use for a tire carrier spindle

jeepfreak1020

NAXJA Forum User
So im getting ready to build a rear bumper and tire carrier and need some ideas what people have used for there spindle. What have you guys used?

A lot of guys around here use trailer axle setups. Rockstomper here in Colorado carries them. They need to be the heavy duty spindle. The constant vibration and stress has yielded several failures of the normal spindles. You would think they would be stronger than that, but I guess the stresses are higher than you would think.

The setup Rockstomper has is a modified trailer spindle with bearings and housing. You should be able to get an idea from that. Their prices are very reasonable and will save you a TON of fabriction hassles.

Does anybody make one with a stop in it so it doesn't swing wide open unless you want it to?

I know AJ's makes one but I'm not sure on the pricing. I'm gonna pick one up in a few months when my dad gets started on my rear bumper.

Back