• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hp d44 and ford 9 inch

whompinxj

NAXJA Forum User
I can get a great deal on a hp d44 and a ford nine inch from a 77 F150. does anyone know what im getting myself into with fabbing mounts and steering. I plan on using 1.5 inch dom tube and summit heims for the trac bar and steering. Are these axles even worth doing work to or should I find another vehicle for the nine inch. I think that the 44 is decent but I'm not sure of the 9 inch, I think ford liked to switch it up with their housings.:wstupid:

look at the Dana 30, everythng you see for mounts is what you need to replicate on the Dana44. Ask yourself how hard is it going to be for me to do that? that should tell you, rears not too back, weld new perches on.

that particular model year d44 is the ticket - disc brakes and welded-on radius arm wedges you can grind off for clean tubes to work with. the 9" should have big bearing 31spline shafts too. there are numerous buildup articles on here offering a wide variety of steering and mounting options, enjoy.

I just modified the radius arms on the 44 and used the axle full width in my XJ. I reamed the knuckles from the top and built my own 1 ton steering setup.

hp44.jpg

It looks worse than it really is. In this pix the track bar was not set to the correct length. Yes the springs are at an agle. I sloped the bottom coil bucket to point at the top coil bucket and it works great. Actually, as you flex it, they stay more inline than the stock coils.

My track bar is adjustable, it just takes a bandsaw and a mig. :D

JohnJohn donated a Rusty's track bar bracket to me a couple of years ago. I cut and rebent the stock trackbar. I moved the axle end to be outboard of the axle instead of sitting right over the axle. It works sweet. I did the whole front HP44 from start to finish for a grand, plus or minus a few bucks. I did gears, and put in a used lunchbox, as well as new hubs. That also included a spare set of stock axles. It works great. I'm thinking about building a High9 rear. Right now I have a D44 rear with a Detroit. I added spacers/adapters to widen the rear two inches and match the 5x5.5 bolt pattern.

whompinxj said:
I can get a great deal on a hp d44 and a ford nine inch from a 77 F150. does anyone know what im getting myself into with fabbing mounts and steering. I plan on using 1.5 inch dom tube and summit heims for the trac bar and steering. Are these axles even worth doing work to or should I find another vehicle for the nine inch. I think that the 44 is decent but I'm not sure of the 9 inch, I think ford liked to switch it up with their housings.:wstupid:

It is my understanding (;)) that T&T Customs has just released their HP Dana 44 front truss assembly that ships with pre-installed upper control arm mounts. It is also available in kit form with lower control arm mounts and coil spring buckets. It is designed to make the swap a snap and looks almost identical to the Dana 30 truss that most of the shop rigs currently run.

EJS2006102.jpg

The truss retails at $289.95 making the 1/2 ton axle swap as easy as it could possibly be. It's designed to work with any of the Dana 44's which have true axle tubes (the welded on wedges, any re-tubed HP D44, or heavy duty D44).

Pictures of this truss are not yet available (should be within a week or so) and the website should be updated by the 1st of November. If you need more information before then, please email [email protected] or call us M-F 8am to 5pm MDT at 307.775.9565.

whompinxj said:

77 is definitly a good year. I used a set from a 76 for my swap (disc brakes, welded mounts, big bearing, 31 spline). If you want full-width definitly the way to go.

I cleaned the housings:
740330_259_full.jpg

740330_256_full.jpg

740330_255_full.jpg

Upper mounts were both Rubicon Express. Lowers 3x3 box .188 wall. Coil mounts from a D30. MORE rear spring perches and JKS shockmounts. Stock parking brake cables go right into the 11" drums.
740330_245_full.jpg

740330_243_full.jpg

740330_244_full.jpg

740330_258_full.jpg

740330_250_full.jpg

Greg M.

Montana xj, is the steering on yours just bolts through the knuckles for the heims? If so is it a specialty item or just a grade 8 from the local hardware store?

whompinxj said:
Montana xj, is the steering on yours just bolts through the knuckles for the heims? If so is it a specialty item or just a grade 8 from the local hardware store?
The taper in the knuckles were reamed out and a sleeve pressed in so that they accept a standard 5/8" grade 8 bolt.

Greg M.

nwjeeper91 said:
sorry to but in so late, on the f150 front ends can you swap the knuckles for 8 lug? sorry for the hi-jack. I do appreciate any answers

BILL

Yes it can be done but i think you have to use chevy 3/4 ton 44 outers. Someboy else wanna chime in and correct me if im wrong?

Back