• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wierd problem

XJRunner

NAXJA Forum User
ok I bought a 96 4.0 high output with 186k on it. everytime I drive it it get this weird quirk, it starves for fuel but it only happens about 10 minutes after i turn the key to start it then it never happens again untill i shut it off and restart it. What do you think the problem is?

or do you mean you turn on the engine, and then it revs real low and feels like it is about to stall out or backfire, but after driving a few minutes, its fine?

no i start it drive away and it sputters and surges like its running out of gas then runs perfectly fine

Yes that's exactly what mine did, but only after I drove and parked it for 10 or 15 min (hot soak) and then re started it. Shortly after while driving it would do the hesitation. The TPS fixed it, they tend to have spot that get's worn more.

Fuel pump going out.
my 91 with 191k finally gave out. it was getting progressively worst.
at the end it would need 20 second crank before it would start up. but once going it would start up pretty fast.
Rent yourself a Fuel Pressure gauge. it should be at 39lbs. mine was at 8lbs.

if the tps dont fix it.

mark

Before you go buy anything, turn the key on to where your radio and instrument panel comes on, but your engine doesn't start. Let it sit there for a few seconds. Turn the key and see if it doesn't start up and run like it should.

If this works, you have a bad valve on the fuel pump. You can replace it, or live with it. The valve won't blow up your engine or anything if you give the fuel system a few seconds to pressure up

^^ I might try that tonmmorow. I bought a new fuel pump today $91 frickin bucks and it still does it. Stuill stumbles and falls on its face

Or figure out what is wrong before you buy parts? TPS can be tested with an analog multimeter. Look for the needle to bounce (if bad) instead of moving smoothly (if good). This would indicate a dead spot in the TPS.

Or figure out what is wrong before you buy parts? TPS can be tested with an analog multimeter. Look for the needle to bounce (if bad) instead of moving smoothly (if good). This would indicate a dead spot in the TPS.

Why do that? In this bad economy we need to buy more parts!

I'm going threw the same problems as we speak. I also replaced my fuel pump..... 2 weeks before that I replaced the TPS. Still does the same thing tho.... I'll be driving then I'll just loose everything. Sometimes it will start back up but most of the time it won't untill it cools down.... I just ordered a new CPS from the dealer. With the renix I have there is a upgraded part that you can get and it hard wires the CPS right into the ECU. Seems they had a lot of problems with the CPS going into the harness back then and this is supposed to fix that

MOTOPETE:

Did the dealer tell you they can still get the patch kit? I thought it had been discontinued.

Chrysler service bulletin 18-51-88; kit, part number 83100066. The kit includes the new CKP sensor, and a sensor patch harness for connecting the
new sensor directly to the engine control module (ECM).

Anyway, I have a copy of the PDF file for the installation, you could always make your own patch.

PM me your email address if you want a copy of the file.

MOTOPETE:

Did the dealer tell you they can still get the patch kit? I thought it had been discontinued.

Chrysler service bulletin 18-51-88; kit, part number 83100066. The kit includes the new CKP sensor, and a sensor patch harness for connecting the
new sensor directly to the engine control module (ECM).

Anyway, I have a copy of the PDF file for the installation, you could always make your own patch.

PM me your email address if you want a copy of the file.

Yeah Joe they said it was still available..... It should be here today sometime. I was going to do like you suggested and test each sensor to see what one's bad but regardless knowing this was a problem at one point I just feel better knowing it's done. This XJ is at it's legal drinking age so if I don't replace them know it's only a matter of time before I will. I was thinking about replacing the map and cam position sensor too..... what you think??

I'm pretty much a test and replace guy.

If it is within specs I will leave it alone.

I'm cheap.

Back