• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which Scanner to buy for 89XJ Renix & 92XJ OBD-I

4x4xj89

NAXJA Forum User
I want to buy scanners for the 2 Jeeps I have, one is a 1989XJ 4.0, AW4, and the other is a 92XJ 4.0, AW4. As the Jeeps are getting older, I feel these scanners will come in handy to read and reset codes.

What I found out from searches is that for the Renix I need a DRB-II and for the 92XJ I need an OBD-I

What should I expect to do with these scanners besides reading the codes.

Can anyone direct me to what brand and model I need to consider? thanks for your help.

Vik

From what I can remember, the scanner for the DRBII would be awfully expensive, hard to find and of limited use. A good electrical meter and a field service manual and some online research with this and other forums would probably be the best bet for your Renix XJ.

For your OBD1, I like the brand names Equus and Actron.

with obd1 you can look at every sensor the pcm reads and itll display values the sensor gives off. very helpful for diagnosis. i dont have experience with a DRB 2 but i think it would be more limited

From what I can remember, the scanner for the DRBII would be awfully expensive, hard to find and of limited use. A good electrical meter and a field service manual and some online research with this and other forums would probably be the best bet for your Renix XJ.

For your OBD1, I like the brand names Equus and Actron.

So would "3140 Scan Tool CanOBD2&1 Kit™" Equus be a good scanner for the 92 XJ?

I'm thinking about buying an old Snap-On "brick" aka MT2500 for Renix and OBD-1 work. My Snappy guy sells them used for $200 with one cable and card if I remember right.

You might want to try this for your 1992 OBD1 to get the codes. Found the information online; haven't personally tested it but I know it does work for a number of years (not on later models 97.5 + approx)

---------------------------------------------------------------

On OBD1, you have a way of reading fault codes which can be accessed without any scanners by reading how the check engine light flashes.

Start by turning the ignition key to the last stop before it starts, on and off three times within 5 seconds ending in the on position on the third time, ( i.e. on, off, on, off then on and leave ). The check engine light will start to flash quickly with a small pause in between then a medium pause to indicate the next number in the to digit number and then a long pause before the next set of flashing for the next code. If all is well you will get a code 55 which would read like this: 5 fast flashes, medium pause then a further 5 flashes. This is how all codes end with is this 55 code if you have air conditioning or with a code 33 without.

Any other codes would have been before it separated by a long pause. The codes will remain after this test so you can cycle through it as many times as it takes to read them. After a problem has gone the code will be removed after 50 on off key cycles or if the battery left disconnected overnight which will cause a code 12.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about buying an old Snap-On "brick" aka MT2500 for Renix and OBD-1 work. My Snappy guy sells them used for $200 with one cable and card if I remember right.

X2 That is what I use. I love mine. You can find them on e-bay(where I got mine) pretty cheap sometimes. I got mine for about 200.00 with the right Jeep card and 5 more. A mix between diag and trouble shooter cards, for Jeep, Chevy, Ford in different year ranges. And the "Brick" will give you live data while driving to...and it will help diag the transmission on a Renix to.

where would you plug in for the renix to read anything?

There are two plugs under the hood that are covered by a yellow or orange covers(I'm inside Jeeps out side and I can't remember which one) right behind the relay mounts on the passenger side of the Jeep.

avnsteve and anyone else near by,

You are more than welcome to come see me and try it out on the Renix
I have the "Jeep-1" connector for the Renix and the "CHRY-1" connector for the 91-95 crowd. I need to get the "OBD-2" connector next. My primary cartridge will do GM-Chrysler-Ford-Jeep up to 99 but as stated above I only currently have the connectors to do up to an 95 Jeep and that's where my troubleshooting card stops to.

Back