• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do I test the Trans Solenoids

Yes, you'll need a good wiring diagram. Disconnect the plug by the RR of the valve cover or even the plug at the TCU. Find the appropriate pins, give them power and ground and listen for a faint click. You can also check the amp draw when powered up. The FSM likely just goes off of resistance for the test which should be in the neighborhood of 20 ohms.

IF you know anyone with a scanner, that will work as well.

Ohms are OK but won't always clue you into a marginal connection. I like to hear them click with some voltage applied. Obviously be careful doing this so as not to short the leads, an inline fuse on the test lead is a good idea.

According to the 97 FSM it should read between 11 and 15 ohms.
It shows for the TCU:
Pin 24 ground
Pin 25 Battery +
Pin 12 1-2 and 3-4 solenoid control
Pin 13 2-3 solenoid control
Pin 11 lock up solenoid control

I must be doing something wrong.
All 3 Solenoids show Zero resistance.

TCM unpluged
Key Off
Ground probe in Pin 24
Possitive Probe in Pin 11, Zero Resistance
Possitive Probe in Pin 12, Zero Resistance
Possitive Probe in Pin 13, Zero Resistance

Is this Possible ?
Am I doing something wrong ?

I must be doing something wrong.
All 3 Solenoids show Zero resistance.

TCM unpluged
Key Off
Ground probe in Pin 24
Possitive Probe in Pin 11, Zero Resistance
Possitive Probe in Pin 12, Zero Resistance
Possitive Probe in Pin 13, Zero Resistance

Is this Possible ?
Am I doing something wrong ?
Make sure you have a good grounding source with you meter probe.
Are you using a digital meter?

I'm using an Analog Meter.
Are you saying the Meter needs to be grounded seperate ?
In finding the correct readings you should be using a DMM .... the analog meter did not work for me.
Yes you put the red probe into the plug then the black probe should be grounded somewhere near the plug....somewhere that you know the chassis is grounded.

The solenoids are grounded through the transmission case, so any good vehicle ground should suffice. If there's opens on pins 11, 12, and 13 then something is definitely amiss. Next step would be to try it at the trans connector by the RR valve cover and see if you get the same results, then it's down to the trans harness or under the trans pan. Now when you say zero resistance, do you mean zero ohms as in the same reading as touching the test leads together? Or infinite resistance as in when holding the leads apart?

Back