• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231 front output play

Angus

NAXJA Forum User
Got a question about a NP231. I installed the PORC SYE kit the other day on a friends '92 XJ. I've rebuilt many of these and installed several SYE's. Everything went as normal and tested great. One oddity that I've never noticed was some freeplay on the front output yoke. It's not much, but enough to feel. The output shaft nut was checked three times and is tight as specified. On the test drive there is now a vibration that has been ruled to be the front shaft. Because of the poor rear shaft alignment and vibration prior to the SYE we cannot rule out the front axle pinion angle being bad before. We will check that angle soon. Has anyone found a slight vibration coming out of the front TC yoke from endplay?

Angus

are you talking about a twisting slop? or a side to side movement slop?

did you happen to look at the two bearings that support the front shaft while you had it all apart?

Freeplay - in and out slop. No, we did not check for that when it was disasembled as it worked fine and was flawless inside. That is my reason for asking since all checks looked good.

i also have in and out movement of the front output yoke.

it is too small of a movement to even measure, but you can feel it moving. i have narrowed my front d/s vibes down to this and no matter how tight the yoke nut is, there is still play and vibes.

any help?

-Tim

Back