• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

headlight switch drama

BSH

NAXJA Forum User
!$^%&^&

I didn't read the fine print, and NAPA wouldn't return the headlight switch I bought this morning, because I had plugged it in. Naturally, I wanted to return it, because I still have the same problem as before - no running lights with headlights on.

So if I assume the headlight switch is good, and I know the fuses are good, why else would I have this problem?

I wonder if I can polish the contact marks out of the contacts, so it looks like I never had the new switch in....

Pull the airbox, there are connectors under it that get corroded. On my 94 there were a cuple wires that were obviously the problem, I bypassed the connector and just ran a butt connector on those wires.

Oh, yes, key data. I have a 96, 4.0, auto.

Symptoms: headlights and brake lights work, but no running lights/parking lamps, no turnsignals, no dash lights, no door buzzer. Radio works, heater fan works.

Another question: the replacement headlight switch does not have a pin on the tail like the OEM one does. Is that end pin connector supposed to be a ground? Will this replacement even work without that connector? Does anyone have a wiring diagram for what all the various pins on the headlight switch are for?

Thanks much.

And another thing: I don't like buying a kit of fuses, just to get the one correct amperage fuse I need. Where can one buy fuses singly, or at least in single amperages?

AutismZone has single value fuses in small boxes (3-5 per box) iirc. Since you're debugging an issue, I would not be surprised if you go through that many before you're done anyways...

I agree on that, though I do keep a set of all the fuses I could need in a small fishing tackle box under my passenger seat just in case I pop one while I'm out in the middle of nowhere, right next to the tire patch kit and spare bulbs.

Oh, yes, key data. I have a 96, 4.0, auto.

Symptoms: headlights and brake lights work, but no running lights/parking lamps, no turnsignals, no dash lights, no door buzzer. Radio works, heater fan works.

Another question: the replacement headlight switch does not have a pin on the tail like the OEM one does. Is that end pin connector supposed to be a ground? Will this replacement even work without that connector? Does anyone have a wiring diagram for what all the various pins on the headlight switch are for?

Thanks much.

Wow almost just like mine:

93, 4.0, Auto

Symptoms: Interior, 12v recepticals don't work. Head, tail and all others work.

What did you find wrong with yours?

Well, I found out that the replacement switch DID have the ground pin, just in a different location. Since I did try the headlights without that ground connected, I figured that caused me some other electrical problems. So, I got ANOTHER headlight switch. And before I fired anything up, I went through and found a spot where a disconnected and inoperable accessory (CB or alarm) had been shorting/grounding out. I fixed that too.

I THINK the electrical problems are fixed, but I haven't been running the jeep at all. I can't drive it because there's a big hole in the floor, including under the seat mount brace, so I can't fix it. :( So I have a jeep with a hole in the floor and a dead battery sitting in my driveway. :( Depressing.

Damn that blows. I will be taking this all on soon. The jeep has tint in the back so when I get in there at night the kids have a tough time with their seatbelts. So I end up buckling them in.

Plus I would like to have working cig outlets.

Back