• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WTF? Rear sags after lift.

Zoro

NAXJA Forum User
Just put a 4" lift in my XJ and I measured it out and my front end is sitting right at 4" but the rear end is sitting at 2 1/2. In the back it's 2" springs and a 2" shackle. The only reason I can think of that it's sagging is because the factory rear sway/trac bar is still hooked up and will not let the rear end fully come up. Does this sound reasonable? My rear leafs are about flat.

So if this is my problem how do lifted XJ's do on the road w/o a rear sway bar?

It's a rear swaybar, not a trackbar and shouldn't hold the axle down - it only evens the load left-right. You can do a quick verification by unhooking it...and throwing it away.

Are the springs 2" replacement springs, or more likely is it an Add-a-leaf (AAL) spring? Good luck getting 2" out of an AAL on a sagging rear.

are your shackles 2" long? or are they advertised as 2" lift? if i remember right it takes about 6" long shackles to equal 2" lift. x2 on the statment on springs above.

It's been my experience a 2inch longer shackle gives about an inch of lift.

I had 2" leaf packs in place before the lift and I added a 2" longer shackle.

100_5556.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b360/spf150/100_5538.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b360/spf150/100_5539.jpg

You can tell the front end has been raised and it's stiiting right at 4" but the rear end is still at 2.5" You can see this better in the last 2 photos.

Zoro said:
I had 2" leaf packs in place before the lift and I added a 2" longer shackle.

There's half your answer right there. A 2" longer shackle is a 1" lift

It sounds like your leaf pack is tired. I put BDS 3" on my 91 and it actually gave me 4" versus the old springs that were on there. The new springs have a definite arc to them also.

Make sure the springs are in the right way and not turned around. Stupid I know but it has happened before

ibjeepin821 said:
Make sure the springs are in the right way and not turned around. Stupid I know but it has happened before
Its not even possible,sorry!!!

langer1 said:
Did you extend the shocks also?
Yep, I just got a set of OME long travel shocks, the ride is terrific.

Not sure how long the old leaf pack's been in there but I'm gonna snatch an AAL to bring it up until I can get new leaf packs. BTW how much of a difference in ride height does the wrap clips on the leaf packs make? The PO took them all off so at full flex the leafs seperate...

Zoro said:
BTW how much of a difference in ride height does the wrap clips on the leaf packs make? The PO took them all off so at full flex the leafs seperate...

um, i think those are to keep the leaves lined up side to side and not up and down, since i have RE springs with the clips and they still separate when unloaded.
might wanna pick some of those up...people do stupid things because they think it will make them flex better.

-Tim

Sometimes a lift kit will only lift the front say 4" and the rear 2" because the rear already sits about 2" higher than the front(so you can haul a trailer or cargo. Look a a typical truck, a little extream but you get the point) So if the Jeep sits level, and it seams to in the pics, than thats probably your problem. I could be wrong. I know there are several different kits out there and some say total lift and some just say lift. The total lift is front AND rear while a lift will basicly just raise the front and level the rear. Good Luck!!

I want to point out also with the front higher than the rear you will have cooling problems and it don't take much.
So much air is forced under the vehicle little goes through the radiator.

2" AAL's on my sagging rearend (removed the cracked bottom most springs) brought it back up to more than 2", even with junk in the trunk and 4-5 months later after installation........I got mine from Rusty's.

langer1 said:
I want to point out also with the front higher than the rear you will have cooling problems and it don't take much.
So much air is forced under the vehicle little goes through the radiator.
I don't think it's a problem for me, 4 core alum rad, dual elec fans pushing close to 3K CFM each and 160* thermo. Thanks for asking tho.

The jeep looks level in the pics.

Langer I am really not following you on the nose high cooling issues.

A radiator doesnt need to be square to the incoming airflow to still be effective, am I missing something? The jeep still looks level anyways. :D

Blaine B. said:
Does your fuel mileage suck with that thermostat? I heard something about if you put a lower one in, mileage decreases.......

i ran a 160* thermostat for a long time
i got 19mpg hwy consistantly on 35s with 4.88s, about 17 city. i never noticed anything "bad" about the 160* thermostat on my RENIX.

-Tim

Back